Fire engulfs Bharat Diamond Bourse MumbaiOctober 20th, 2008 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 20 (IANS) A major fire engulfed the under-construction Bharat Diamond Bourse (BDB) in the Bandra-Kurla complex here Monday evening, according to the city fire brigade.Eight fire tenders and three water tankers were engaged to control the blaze, said an official.
Details of the number of occupants in the BDB complex or any casualties were not immediately available, he added.
The BDB, which is nearly 90 percent complete, is expected to be the new hub of the country’s diamond trading business. It was scheduled for inauguration early 2009.
This was the second major fire in the suburbs since this morning. Earlier in the day, a sprawling industrial estate was gutted at Jogeshwari, a north-west suburb. There were no casualties in the incident, the fire brigade said.
Less than a fortnight ago, a significant portion of the InfinitiMall, an upmarket shopping hub, at Oshiwara, was gutted in a major fire. Though there were no casualties, the mall has been shut down since then, pending clearance from the fire department.
- Fire at Mumbai commercial complex - Sep 07, 2012
- Fire at Mumbai commercial complex under control (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Week later, Mumbai blast sites bustle again - Jul 19, 2011
- Mumbai's diamond, gold merchants furious at government apathy - Jul 14, 2011
- World's largest diamond bourse opens in Mumbai (With image) - Oct 16, 2010
- Mumbai to get more air-conditioned buses - Jun 01, 2012
- Mumbai blaze guts three shopping plazas, three firemen hurt - Nov 26, 2011
- Hazare to reach Mumbai by Monday evening - Dec 26, 2011
- Fire in Mumbai mall - Jul 25, 2012
- Pune mall catches fire, 15 rescued - Jun 21, 2012
- High rentals for fast venue stuns Team Anna - Dec 19, 2011
- Major fire at multi-storied building in South Kolkata - Mar 29, 2012
- Massive fire in Dubai perfume factory - Aug 23, 2012
- US consulate opens in suburban Mumbai - Nov 21, 2011
- Fire breaks out in Kolkata shopping mall - Sep 18, 2010