Fire destroys shop in Delhi’s Chandni ChowkJuly 21st, 2008 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 21 (IANS) A fire broke out Monday in a cloth market in Delhi’s Chandni Chowk area. Though a sari showroom was gutted, no casualties were reported, police said. The blaze started around noon on the first and second floors of the Novelty Emporium in Moti Bazaar. The owner and employees of the shop rushed out immediately. The fire raged for nearly two-and-a-half hours.
Fourteen fire fighting tenders were pressed into service to douse the flames.
“According to the owner of the Novelty Emporium, the fire was caused due to a short-circuit in an air-conditioner. No one was injured in the incident,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (north Delhi).