Fire destroys Kolkata leather factoryFebruary 17th, 2008 - 6:10 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, Feb 17 (IANS) A huge fire Sunday gutted a leather factory in an industrial estate in south Kolkata, but no casualties were reported, officials said. A fire brigade official said it took nearly five hours to put out the blaze that broke out around 8 a.m. The cause of the fire was not known immediately.
“It seems the leather factory - XL Enterprises Ltd - in the Kasba Industrial Estate had no fire fighting arrangements. Three workers of the factory came out of the inferno by climbing down a pipe. No one was hurt,” the official said.
“The cause of the fire would be ascertained only after a forensic study,” he said.
A thick smoke engulfed the area after the fire broke out.
While the owner of the factory claimed the unit had fire-fighting arrangements, West Bengal Fire Services Minister Pratim Chatterjee said there was none.
Chatterjee faced a hostile crowd when he reached the spot at 11.30 a.m.
“There was no fire-fighting arrangement. Is this the way to run an industrial unit?” Chatterjee asked.
People in the vicinity said the fire brigade’s efforts to douse the blaze were ham-handed while fire officials claimed there was difficulty in finding a water source nearby.
Kolkatans are yet to recover from the horrors of a fire that broke out in a 13-stoteyed building in the city’s biggest wholesale market in Burrabazar. The fire raged for nearly a week after the blaze broke out on Jan 12.
The Nandaram market fire of Burrabazar is said to be the worst fire in living memory in Kolkata.
- Fire in Kolkata factory - Dec 20, 2011
- Factory gutted in Kolkata - Apr 01, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata's New Market - Jul 20, 2011
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Fire destroys polymer factory in Bangalore - Sep 30, 2011
- Fire in Kolkata's heritage New Market doused (Lead) - Jul 21, 2011
- 239 die as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Ten killed in Delhi factory fire, Dikshit orders probe (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Ten killed in Delhi factory fire, Dikshit orders probe (Third Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Leather goods warehouse gutted, no casualty - Nov 11, 2010
- 4 killed, 40 trapped as fire sweeps cracker factory - Feb 20, 2012
- Major fire at Delhi factory - May 12, 2011