Fire breaks out in Kolkata shoe factoryOctober 26th, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 26 (IANS) Fire broke out in a shoe factory in north Kolkata Sunday afternoon. No one was injured, a fire brigade official said.”Apparently it seems there was a short-circuit in one of the rooms on the first floor of the two-storeyed shoe factory. The fire spread fast to other three rooms on the same floor due to the presence of huge quantities of combustible chemicals like dendrites and leather soles,” he said.
He said six fire engines were rushed to the spot. The incident took place around 12.30 p.m. at the factory in the dingy Badurbagan area, near Amherst Street in north Kolkata. Badurbagan area houses around 20 small shoe factories.
Inside the factory, which was closed Sunday, no fire fighting instruments were installed.
The official said difficulties were faced in controlling fire due to bad weather conditions.
“Due to winds and continuous drizzle since morning, it was difficult to control the fire. However, the flames came under control around 2.40 p.m,” he said.
The losses incurred in the incident are yet to be assessed, officials said.