Fire breaks out in Egyptian parliament, 13 injuredAugust 20th, 2008 - 3:20 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Aug 20 (DPA) A major fire erupted Tuesday in the building housing Egypt’s Shura Council or upper house of parliament, injuring at least 13 people, security sources said.The fire spread from the third floor of the building down to the second floor, security sources told DPA. Wind and the wood from the ceiling help fuel the flames.
Among the injured were fire workers who suffered smoke inhalation and some workers in the building who suffered fractures while trying to escape the fire.
A couple of military helicopters arrived to the fire scene, but failed to control the flames. At least 35 fire engines battled the blaze.
Emergency services officials fear the old three-storey building in downtown Cairo could collapse after the disintegration of the building’s internal walls and the total destruction of its third-floor ceiling.
Officials said the cause of the fire was still not known, though some believe it was due to an electrical fault. The more than a century old building was poorly equipped to handle fire.
- Five killed in Turkey building fire - Jan 23, 2012
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 45 killed in factory fires in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Four killed in Delhi warehouse fire - Nov 13, 2011
- Woman killed in Delhi factory fire - Jan 26, 2011
- Karachi factory had several emergency exits, all locked - Sep 13, 2012
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Fire at cosmetic shop - Mar 16, 2011
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- One killed, three injured in Chennai fire - Jan 16, 2012
- Nine killed in South Korean fire - May 06, 2012
- 13 killed in Karachi factory fire - Sep 12, 2012
- Seven die in central Moscow apartment fire - May 17, 2011
- Over 300 dead as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Night Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sharjah skyscraper catches fire - Apr 28, 2012