Fire at Nagaland CM’s residence, family escapes unhurt (Lead)February 9th, 2011 - 1:23 am ICT by IANS
Kohima, Feb 8 (IANS) Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio and his family narrowly escaped Tuesday evening when a major fire broke out at their residence while they were sitting down to dinner, an official said. “The chief minister and his family were inside the house. Fortunately, they escaped unhurt,” Nagaland Additional Chief Secretary Alemtemshi Jamir told IANS.
Rio and his family members were about to start their dinner when the fire was detected at around 6.20 p.m.
The fire brigade arrived at the spot and the blaze was doused by around 8 p.m.
The fire gutted about 30 to 40 percent of the official residence, said Abu Metha, press secretary to the chief minister.
“We have started investigations to ascertain the cause of the fire. However, preliminary investigations indicates that the cause of the fire could be a short-circuit in the kitchen,” Kohima Superintendent of Police Rothilho Tetseo told IANS.
He said the fire did not wholly destroy the structure. The wooden cottage, which had been the residence of almost all the chief ministers of the state, was built in 1963 after Nagaland attained statehood.
- Fire guts Nagaland CM's residence, narrow escape for family - Feb 08, 2011
- Nagaland Chief Minister's aide escapes attack - Jul 06, 2012
- Nagaland makes industry out of its music - Aug 28, 2012
- Britain's Prince Andrew to visit Kohima May 1 - Apr 25, 2012
- Nagaland returning to normalcy - Sep 03, 2012
- Army stages flag march in Nagaland - Sep 02, 2012
- Nagaland donates Rs.1 mn to flood-hit Thailand - Nov 17, 2011
- Nagaland announces award for Swuro - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympian archer honoured in Nagaland - Aug 16, 2012
- Five-time Nagaland chief minister loses by-poll - May 13, 2011
- Naga ministers join World Cup party in South Africa - Jul 07, 2010
- Nagaland government appeals for calling off blockade - Aug 21, 2012
- Labourer injured in fire in Delhi - Mar 10, 2012
- Gurbachan Jagat to take oath as Nagaland Governor next week - Jul 25, 2009
- Northeast borders need priority in security, say chief ministers - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: blaze, chief minister, chief ministers, chief secretary, family members, fire brigade, investigations, jamir, metha, press secretary, rio, short circuit, statehood, superintendent, tuesday evening