Fire at Hyundai’s paint shop injures seven (Lead)September 1st, 2008 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 1 (IANS) A fire broke out at Hyundai Motor India’s paint shop here Monday, injuring seven workers.Officials of Hyundai and its lead insurer ICICI Lombard General Insurance Co Ltd are assessing the cause of the fire, the company said.
“Normally, cleaning operations at the plant are carried out Mondays. Two workers, who were cleaning the paint shop, saw some smoke in a corner and shouted for help. Others came in and tried to put out the fire. As paints are highly inflammable, the fire spread fast,” Hyundai vice-president-production M. Inderjith told IANS.
The injured workers were admitted to Sri Ramachandra Medical Hospital in the city.
Asked about the damages, Inderjith said: “We have to assess. There are robots inside the paint shop. One has to see their condition.”
However, the car maker will not face any major production loss due to the accident, officials said.
This is the second major accident at Hyundai’s plant in nine months time.
Last December, four workers died due to poisonous methane gas inhalation during maintenance work at a sewage tank used to store wastes of paint.
- Lack of safety gear killing Delhi's sewer workers (Capital Focus) - Jun 24, 2012
- Two die from toxic fumes at Delhi sewage plant (lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Foxconn India plant shut down following toxic gas leak - Jul 25, 2010
- Two die in septic tank in Bangladesh - Aug 03, 2012
- 15 killed in fire at Vizag Steel Plant (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Damage by cyclone Thane to lower general insurers' profits - Jan 03, 2012
- One killed in fire at Maruti car plant - Jul 19, 2012
- Three company officials booked for Thane gas leak - Sep 21, 2011
- Foxconn India plant shut down after toxic gas leak (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- Death toll mounts in Vizag steel plant blast - Jun 14, 2012
- ICICI Lombard to hike diesel vehicles' insurance premium - Jun 27, 2011
- ICICI Lombard to insure 3.5 lakh homes in Goa - Jun 13, 2011
- Two died of poisonous gas from manhole - Apr 19, 2011
- Foxconn India gets clean chit on workers' sickness - Jul 26, 2010
- 26 die in Mexican gas plant blast, fire (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012