Fiona can depose via video conference in Scarlett case: CBIApril 5th, 2010 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 5 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) is open to recording Fiona Mackeown’s testimony via video conference during the murder trial of her daughter Scarlett Keeling, who was sexual assaulted and left to die on a Goa beach in 2008, the agency’s counsel said Monday.
Speaking to reporters after the trial proceedings at the Goa Children’s Court (GCC), CBI counsel S. Rivonkar said that Fiona’s statement was extremely crucial to the trial.
“She (Fiona) has not been summoned yet, but she is a crucial witness. Fiona would be summoned for trial to depose before the court. If she can’t come, we can even arrange for a video conferencing facility in order to record her statement from where she is,” Rivonkar said.
Fiona, who led the campaign for a re-look at the police investigations into her daughter’s sexual assault and death, is presently in Devon, Britain.
Scarlett’s half-naked body was found at Anjuna beach of Goa in February 2008.
Two beach shack workers Samson D’Souza and Placido Carvalho are being tried for sexual assault and culpable homicide in connection with the case.
The police had earlier tried to dismiss the case as a case of drowning.
But her mother Fiona’s subsequent campaign for justice had attracted international spotlight and exposed Goa tourism’s ugly narcotics-laced underbelly.
- Murdered Scarlett Keeling's mum to appear at the trial of accused - Jul 30, 2010
- Scarlett's mother to depose in Goa court July 30 - Jul 26, 2010
- Scarlett rape, murder trial to begin - Mar 19, 2010
- 'Night before death Scarlett was singing, talking about stars' - Jul 29, 2010
- Spanish friend to depose in Scarlett rape case - Apr 02, 2010
- Fiona likely to depose in court in Scarlett trial: Lawyer - Apr 14, 2010
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- Fiona unable to come for Scarlett's April 16 hearing - Apr 15, 2010
- Fiona deposes in Goa court; says police suppressed facts - Jul 30, 2010
- Scarlett's character being maligned: Fiona - Aug 02, 2010
- 'Probe Goa home minister's son in Scarlett case' (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- I don't know if there will be justice: Fiona Mackeown - Apr 19, 2010
- Scarlett case dragging, CBI prosecutor wants to withdraw - Feb 03, 2011
- Scarlett Keeling murder retold on 'Anjuna Beach' - Jul 02, 2011
- Scarlett Keeling's killers 'gave her drugs', claims her mother - Aug 03, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,