Finally, government approves national defence universityMay 13th, 2010 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) Nearly a decade after a recommendation by a group of ministers, the government Thursday approved “in-principle” the setting up of an autonomous defence university in Gurgaon to help synergise and craft strategic planning and analyses keeping in view the country’s geopolitical objectives and national security.
“The union cabinet accorded ‘in-principle’ approval for setting up of the Indian National Defence University (INDU) as a fully autonomous institution to be constituted under an act of parliament,” an official statement said.
The decision to create INDU at an estimated cost of Rs.295 crore “at current price level” was taken at a cabinet committee meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The cabinet also accorded approval for acquisition of 200 acres of land at Binola in Gurgaon, on the outskirts of the national capital, for the proposed site of INDU at an estimated cost of Rs.100 crore.
“INDU will undertake long term defence and strategic studies and create synergy between academic community and government. (It) will educate national security leaders on aspects of national security strategy, national military strategy, national information strategy and national technology strategy through teaching and research,” the statement said.
“It will also promote policy oriented research on all aspect relating to national security as an input to strategic national policy making,” the statement added.
The approval comes almost a decade after a group of ministers in 2001 had recommended INDU’s creation for a synergy between academicians and government on defence and strategic issues.
The US, China and several other countries already have institutions like INDU for a robust strategic thinking and research culture between academia and government.
- Cabinet approves plan to set up of the Indian National Defence University - May 13, 2010
- Finally, national defence university gets government nod (Second Lead) - May 13, 2010
- Cabinet approves Indian National Defence University - May 13, 2010
- Indian National Defence University to be set up in Gurgaon - May 13, 2010
- India's defence varsity by 2017 - May 21, 2012
- Cabinet nod for defence varsity in Gurgaon - Apr 26, 2012
- Indian National Defence University to get land near Gurgaon - Feb 19, 2009
- Capital to have mono rail by 2017 - Jan 17, 2012
- Ajit Singh assures faster clearance for Navi Mumbai airport - Jul 30, 2012
- Government told to decide fast on bio-fuels programme: Parliament panel - May 07, 2012
- RPI workers demand Mumbai mill land for Ambedkar memorial - Jun 12, 2012
- Land for Ambedkar memorial soon - Mar 30, 2012
- India, US to assist Sri Lanka military - Jun 05, 2012
- Escalated cost of automobile testing centres approved - Apr 28, 2011
- Rs.100 crore Vivekananda education project approved - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: academicians, act of parliament, autonomous institution, cabinet committee, crore, gurgaon, indu, manmohan singh, national defence, national information strategy, national military strategy, national security leaders, national security strategy, national technology, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, research culture, strategic studies, strategic thinking, union cabinet