Films have become marketing product: Shekhar KapurJuly 27th, 2012 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 27 (IANS) Filmmaker Shekhar Kapur is upset how marketing and box-office performance of a film are becoming the parameters of success rather than the film itself.
“It’s sad that media focus on films all over the world these days is box office figures on opening weekend. Not the film,” Kapur tweeted.
Citing the success of his 1983 film “Masoom”, he further wrote: “Noone went to see ‘Masoom’ in first week of release. Empty halls. Picked up next week and was unstoppable. Today would be impossible to release a ‘Masoom’.”
The 66-year-old says movies have sadly become “product of marketing hype more than artistic/story merit.”
“Production houses see films as disposable product with shelf life of one weekend, maximum two. We tried to make films to last a lifetime and beyond,” he added.
Kapur, who made “Mr. India” with Anil Kapoor and Sridevi in their initial days, has raised questions over the money minting attitude of current producers.
“If we had worried about first weekend box office for ‘Mr. India’, the film would never have been made. Neither Anil or Sridevi were big stars,” he wrote, and credited Boney Kapoor for the success of the 1987 classic.
“The real star of Mr.India? Producer Boney Kapoor. Totally backed film despite being told how crazy and mad it was, no producer with guts now,” he added.
- Nana ignores back pain, lifts Shreyas (Movie Snippets) (With Images) - Aug 15, 2012
- Sharman learns to toss egg omelette (Movie Snippets) - May 25, 2012
- I'll be co-producing all my own films with Sahara: Boney Kapoor - Jul 22, 2011
- Boney Kapoor's Son Arjun Likely To Be Paired With Sonakshi - Sep 01, 2010
- Asin Says She Can Never Say No To Sridevi - Sep 08, 2010
- Shreyas shoots for item number with Chitrangada (Movie Snippets) - Nov 13, 2011
- Only Anil Kapoor can repeat 'Mr. India' : Shekhar Kapur - Jul 07, 2009
- Shekhar Kapur not replacing Hrithik with Ranbir - Jul 17, 2012
- Anil Kapoor: The King Of Bollywood Sequels In 2011 - Dec 22, 2010
- Shekhar Kapur denies turning down Cruz's offer - Mar 06, 2011
- Varma remembers 'candlelight' moments with Sridevi - Jun 05, 2010
- 'English Vinglish' written with Sridevi in mind: R.Balki - Jun 05, 2012
- Anil Kapoor's father Surinder passes away - Sep 24, 2011
- Raj Babbar felicitated for 'Bodyguard' success - Sep 04, 2011
- 'Use social meida to spread awareness about water conservation' - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: anil kapoor, attitude, box office figures, disposable product, empty halls, guts, hype, initial days, marketing product, media focus, mr india, mumbai, office performance, parameters, producers, production houses, shekhar kapur, shelf life, sridevi, weekend box office