Film on Benazir Bhutto gets US awardMay 22nd, 2012 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 22 (IANS) A documentary on the life of Benazir Bhutto has received a prestigious electronic media award in the US — the George Foster Peabody Award.
“Bhutto” is a 111-minute documentary about the two-time Pakistani prime minister who was assassinated in Rawalpindi while campaigning in 2007, the Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
The documentary received the award at a glittering ceremony held in New York.
Bhutto’s son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, who is the chairman of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party, attended the award ceremony with his aunt Sanam Bhutto.
Hollywood actor Patrick Stewart of “X-Men” fame presented the awards.
Among prizes for electronic media - radio, television, interactive and new media - the George Foster Peabody Awards are considered the most prestigious.
Founded in 1940, the Peabody is the also the oldest electronic media award in the world, recognising excellence, distinguished achievement, and meritorious public service.
The first radio awards were presented in 1941, the first TV awards in 1948, the first cable TV awards in 1981, and the first website awards in 2003.
Honouring content from large broadcast networks to tiny online outlets, from popular entertainment programmes to independently produced documentaries, the Peabody Awards seek out “excellence on its own terms”.
The awards are administered by the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication.
- Olympian archer honoured in Nagaland - Aug 16, 2012
- Pakistan gets acting chief justice - May 28, 2012
- 'Keen learner' Bilawal Bhutto not to jump headfirst into Pak politics - May 01, 2011
- Hugh Jackman, Aishwarya Rai bag top honours at FICCI-Frames - Mar 26, 2011
- 'DAMs - The Lethal Water Bomb' bags three awards at LA fest - May 24, 2011
- India's 'Inshallah, Football' bags Dubai Film Fest award - Dec 20, 2010
- Norman Corwin passes away - Oct 19, 2011
- India peace be with you: tweets Bilawal Bhutto - Apr 08, 2012
- Amanpour Sets the Agenda with New Show on CNN - Sep 09, 2009
- Bhupen Hazarika conferred Padma Vibhushan posthumously - Mar 22, 2012
- Pakistani film wins Oscar for best documentary - Feb 27, 2012
- Mexican radio station and Egyptian journalist win UNESCO-IPDC Prize for Rural Communication - Mar 23, 2010
- Enjoyed lunch with Rahul and PM: tweets Bilawal Bhutto (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- 'India on par with others in electronic warfare' - May 02, 2012
- Top honours crown 'The King's Speech' at 83rd Oscars (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: benazir bhutto, broadcast networks, college of journalism, first radio, george foster, george foster peabody, grady college of journalism, hollywood actor, media radio, meritorious public service, minute documentary, pakistan peoples party, pakistani prime minister, peabody award, peabody awards, popular entertainment, radio awards, tv awards, website awards, zardari