Fighting erupts in Afghanistan (Lead)July 13th, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, July 13 (DPA) The International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) and the Afghan National Army (ANA) Sunday were involved in heavy fighting with insurgents in Dara-I-Pech district of eastern Afghan province of Kunar even as 24 people were killed in a suicide attack in the south. “The fighting began at about 4:30 am (0100 GMT) today,” the ISAF headquarters said in an official press release Sunday.
“Insurgents have been firing with small arms, machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars using homes, shops and the mosque in the village of Wanat for cover. The combined ISAF and ANA forces responded with small arms, machine guns, mortars, artillery, close air support and helicopters,” the ISAF officials said.
There had been casualties on both sides, but ISAF refrained from releasing any numbers as the fighting was ongoing.
In southern Helmand province Sunday, 20 civilians and four police officers were killed Sunday in a suicide attack on a market in the southern Afghanistan province of Uruzgan, police said.
Some 40 people - most of them children and shopkeepers - were wounded when the bomber blew himself up in a marketplace in Deh Rawud district of Uruzgan, provincial police chief Jumal Gul Hemat said. The bomber also destroyed around nine shops, he added.
The incident came a day after a teenager blew himself up near an Afghan National Army (ANA) camp in the southern province of Helmand, killing two soldiers and a child.
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- Six kids hurt in Afghan suicide bombing - May 20, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills 5 family members in southern Afghanistan - Sep 22, 2012
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Suicide attacks kill 17 in southern Afghanistan - Jan 14, 2010
- Taliban strike Kabul, other Afghan targets (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Three civilians among 17 killed in Afghan violence - Jun 19, 2010
- 23 suicide attackers killed, four held in Afghanistan - May 08, 2011
- Five NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Apr 16, 2011
- 11 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 09, 2012
- Taliban kidnap British soldier in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2011
- 14 killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 22, 2010
- Afghan militants kill 9 US troops in deadliest attack near Pak border - Jul 14, 2008
- Security developments in Afghanistan, Jan 24 - Jan 25, 2010
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills three NATO soldiers - Aug 30, 2012