FIFA to discuss awarding World Cup earlier

November 24th, 2008 - 1:10 am ICT by IANS  

Johannesburg, Nov 23 (DPA) Football’s controlling body FIFA Sunday said it was considering announcing the host of the World Cup earlier.Addressing a press briefing on the state of transportation for the 2010 World Cup FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said that it had already been discussed at executive level.

“We are even considering announcing two World Cup hosts at the same time, that would give one of them at least 11 years to prepare.”

Valcke said that the preparations for the World Cup in South Africa in 2010 had shown that seven years was the minimum needed to build the infrastructure necessary to host the World Cup.

“There are, of course, some differences in terms of where the World Cup will be held.”

South Africa was announced as the 2010 host in 2004, while Brazil was given the go-ahead for the 2014 tournament in 2007.

Valcke said that the 2018 hosts, for which there are several bidders, could be announced in 2010.

At the briefing, the South African Minister of Transport Jeff Radebe said that the country would have the necessary transport plan to ensure that there would be no problems with the transportation.

“We have detailed plans and I am confident that everything will go according to plan, not only during the Confederations Cup, but also during the World Cup.”

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |