FIFA disappointed at lack of Confederations Cup hypeMarch 4th, 2009 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, March 4 (DPA) World football body FIFA expressed their disappointment at the lack of hype surrounding the Confederations Cup that is to be hosted in South Africa June 14-18.
FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke told a press briefing here Tuesday that he did not see a single poster for the competition.
“There’s nothing not even at the airport that shows you that this is a Confederations Cup host city. We appointed a signage company Tuesday to promote it,” he said.
Valcke said the stadiums for the tournament, which will see World Champions Italy and five-time World Champions Brazil, were ready.
“Now it’s only about delivery. We cannot move the kick-off, we can’t say ’sorry, there’s going to be a delay’,” he said about the tournament, which he described as a dress rehearsal for the World Cup.
The head of the South African local organising committee for the World Cup, Danny Jordaan, meanwhile expressed disappointment that just 20 percent of applications for the two tournaments were from South Africans.
The sale of tickets for the Confederations Cup has also been disappointing, with just 170,000 tickets of more than 800,000 having been sold.
- FIFA's secretary-general assures Brazil will be ready for World Cup - Jan 21, 2012
- FIFA unveils tickets for 2010 World Cup - Apr 16, 2010
- South Africans shore up Cup of Good Hope with massive support - May 26, 2010
- Fans staying away from FIFA World Cup - May 23, 2010
- FIFA's regional development inaugurated in Delhi - Sep 06, 2012
- FIFA concerned about Brazil's preparedness for 2014 World Cup - Mar 03, 2012
- FIFA hails South Africa as 'perfect' host - Jun 27, 2010
- FIFA issues more tickets for World Cup - May 28, 2010
- Two million Soccer World Cup tickets already sold - Jan 28, 2010
- Football world cup to be South Africa's 'defining moment' - Apr 22, 2010
- Obama may attend 2010 World Cup opening ceremony - Jun 23, 2009
- South Africa still not ready to host 2010 World Cup: FIFA - Feb 24, 2010
- South African tourist industry may be hit after cut in WC foreign tourist predictions - Apr 18, 2010
- FIFA secretary general to meet Ambani, Munjal - Sep 03, 2012
- Stage set in Cape Town for nail-biting World Cup draw - Dec 03, 2009