Fierce gunbattle in Poonch continuing after 60 hoursJanuary 4th, 2009 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 4 (IANS) A fierce gunbattle between security forces and separatist militants continues to rage Sunday in the dense mountainous forest in frontier Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir after over 60 hours in which seven people - four militants and three security personnel - have been killed. The army laid siege to the Pati Tar mountainous forest near Mendhar in Poonch Thursday following a tip off about the presence of a group of hardcore militants in hideouts there. Some top commanders of Pakistan based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JEM) and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror outfits are reported to be present in the hideouts.
The army lost two soldiers when they came under heavy fire while laying cordon.
Col. D.K. Kachari, spokesman of the army Northern Command at Udhampur, said the troops had killed four militants but their bodies were not recovered. He said: “Soldiers on the ground have sighted the bodies.”
In the continuing gun battle, one Special Police Officer (SPO)– temporary recruits in police to assist anti-militancy operations — Naresh Kumar, was killed Saturday.
Senior army and police officers are camping in the area to monitor the situation.
An official said: “We do not have any idea about the number of militants present there as they are firing from different positions, which means that either they are changing their locations or have split themselves in groups.”
He said the militants were equipped with heavy weaponry and have a large quantity of arms and ammunition with them. “They are frequently firing from Pica Guns.”
“We also cannot say as to how long this operation will last,” he added.
Police said they had arrested Muzaffar Shah, a retired assistant sub inspector of police, from nearby Bhati Dhar area for “allegedly providing shelter and logistic support to the militants”. He has been sent to the Joint Interrogation Centre in Jammu for further questioning.
- Poonch shootout on, four militants among seven killed (Lead) - Jan 04, 2009
- Fierce gunbattle continues in Poonch, policeman killed - Jan 03, 2009
- Fierce gunbattle in Poonch continues for fifth day - Jan 05, 2009
- Fog, tough terrain slowing Poonch gunbattle: army - Jan 06, 2009
- Security forces continue to battle militants in Poonch - Jan 07, 2009
- Poonch operation going slow to minimise casualties: army chief (Lead, changing dateline) - Jan 05, 2009
- Four militants killed by soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 02, 2009
- Poonch gun battle rages, weather hinders army operation (Lead) - Jan 07, 2009
- Eighth day and Poonch battle rages on - Jan 08, 2009
- Major killed, Col injured in J&K encounter - Jul 14, 2010
- Soldier injured, gun battle rages in Kashmir - Nov 25, 2010
- Arms and ammunitions recovered from militant hideout in Poonch - Jul 19, 2010
- Two militants killed in Kashmir (Lead) - Aug 07, 2011
- Killed Jaish militant headed terrorist funding network: Army - Jan 19, 2010
- Two soldiers killed in Kashmir shootout with Lashkar - Jan 02, 2009