Fierce gunbattle continues in Poonch, policeman killedJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 3 (IANS) A fierce gunbattle raging between terrorists and Indian security forces in the mountainous forested area of Poonch district in Jammu and Kashmir since Thursday has claimed the life of a police official, taking to seven the deaths so far, an official said Saturday.Top commanders of the Pakistan based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JEM) and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror outfits are reported to be present in hideouts in the area.
Police sources said there was heavy exchange of fire between terrorists and security forces, comprising the army and state police, Friday night. Special Police Officer (SPO), temporary recruits in police to assist in anti-militancy operations, Naresh Kumar, was killed.
The army laid siege to the Pati Tar forest area near Mendhar in the frontier Poonch district Thursday following a tip off about the presence of a group of hardcore militants there. Two soldiers were killed when they came under heavy fire while laying a cordon on Thursday.
Col. D.K. Kachari, spokesman of the army Northern Command at Udhampur, said troops had killed four militants but their bodies were not recovered. He said: “Soldiers on the ground have sighted the bodies.”
Senior army and police officers are camping in the area.
Meanwhile, police sources said they have arrested Muzaffar Shah, a retired Assistant Sub Inspector of police, from nearby Bhati Dhar area for “allegedly providing shelter and logistic support to these militants”. He had been sent to the Joint Interrogation Centre in Jammu for further questioning.
- Fierce gunbattle in Poonch continuing after 60 hours - Jan 04, 2009
- Poonch shootout on, four militants among seven killed (Lead) - Jan 04, 2009
- Fierce gunbattle in Poonch continues for fifth day - Jan 05, 2009
- Fog, tough terrain slowing Poonch gunbattle: army - Jan 06, 2009
- Four militants killed by soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 02, 2009
- Security forces continue to battle militants in Poonch - Jan 07, 2009
- Poonch operation going slow to minimise casualties: army chief (Lead, changing dateline) - Jan 05, 2009
- Jaish commander killed in Jammu - Jan 18, 2010
- Kashmir civilian killing: Two security men booked for murder (Third Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Major killed, Col injured in J&K encounter - Jul 14, 2010
- Eighth day and Poonch battle rages on - Jan 08, 2009
- Poonch gun battle rages, weather hinders army operation (Lead) - Jan 07, 2009
- Killed Jaish militant headed terrorist funding network: Army - Jan 19, 2010
- Civilian killing: Murder case against two Kashmir security personnel - Aug 08, 2011
- Kashmir militant killed in 12-hour battle was civilian (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2011