Fidel Castro turns 85August 14th, 2011 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Aug 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Fidel Castro, the charismatic leader of the Cuban Revolution, celebrated his 85th birthday Saturday.
Singers and musicians from nine Latin American countries Friday night dedicated a three-hour concert, dubbed Serenata a la Fidelidad, to the man who ruled a tiny Communist nation in the Caribbean for almost five decades.
Neither Fidel nor his younger brother Cuban President Raul Castro attended the concert at Havana’s 5,000-seat Karl Marx Theater.
Fidel Castro has been seen rarely in public since he underwent intestinal surgery in 2006 and ceded power to Raul, who officially became president in February 2008.
Since coming to power, Raul Castro has announced a number of drastic economic reforms aimed at pulling the country from a deep economic crisis.
Starting this year, Cuba plans to expand the private sector and reduce the role of the state in the economy by cutting government-paid jobs by 500,000 and allowing more people to work for themselves.
However, the Cuban president who still consults with his older brother has repeatedly said that his country would never abandon its socialist ideals or allow changes that could lead to restoration of capitalism on the island.
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- Fidel Castro to deliver first public speech since 2006 - Sep 03, 2010
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Cuban president proposes to set term limits for officials - Apr 17, 2011
- Ex-Cuba strongman Fidel Castro releases his autobiography - Aug 03, 2010
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Twitter fuels Fidel Castro death rumor - Jan 05, 2012
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Castro confirms he won't be in top Cuban leadership - Apr 19, 2011
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Fidel Castro addresses Cuban parliament - Aug 08, 2010
- Cuba's Soviet-style economic model no longer workable: Castro - Sep 09, 2010
- Maradona expresses admiration of Castro - Jul 25, 2010
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: 85th birthday, capitalism, charismatic leader, communist nation, cuban president, cuban revolution, economic crisis, economic reforms, fidel castro, havana, intestinal surgery, karl marx, la fidelidad, latin american countries, private sector, raul castro, ria novosti, singers, snb, socialist ideals