Ficci awards 11 young women achieversApril 23rd, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 23 (IANS) The Young Ficci Ladies Organisation (YFLO) awarded 11 women achievers in a star studded ceremony in the capital Wednesday, saluting their exemplary achievement in their respective fields - be it sports, journalism, fashion or business. The awardees, all in the age group of 25-39 years, were honoured by Renuka Chowdhury, minister of women and child development, and then environmentalist Sunita Narain and Bollywood actor Kiron Kher.
“It’s electrifying to be amid so many young women achievers who prove that you don’t have to grey to prove your mettle,” Chowdhury said while giving away the awards.
Amid the awardees was Bollywood actor Isha Sharvani who was felicitated for her achievement in the field of performing arts and dance.
Besides her, Surily Goel (fashion), Tanya Sachdev (sports-chess), Mithu Sen (visual arts), Manali Singhal (lawyer), Sonia Verma and Meneka Doshi (media), Mukti Dutta (social welfare), Madhvi Puri Buch (banking) and Aarti Vij (medical) were awarded as young women achievers.
Talking about their achievements, most of the awardees unanimously said the one person who they credit their success to were their mothers.
“Isn’t it only natural?” Chowdhury laughed, adding she now plans to rope in all these women to spearhead her campaign for the girl child.
“I see a lot of hope in these young guns. As they took their awards, I saw in them a huge human resource pool… My ministry will get into a private-public partnership with them in order to spearhead the campaign for the girl child,” she said.
“And I have an advice for Surily (Goel). Other than designing fabulous clothes for the lean people, please design some clothes for women like us - women of abundant substance!” Chowdhury added, amid peals of laughter.
To do her bit, Narain not only spoke briefly about the alarming effects of climate change but also, in observance of Earth Day which was celebrated April 22, distributed bonsai plants to all.
YFLO is the ladies’ youth wing of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Ficci) which works on various subjects like education and entrepreneurship programmes, concentrating mainly on women.
- I'm enjoying Delhi heat: Vidya Balan - Apr 16, 2010
- Surily Goel fashion show displays western wear in Mumbai - Sep 04, 2010
- Indian NGO Chintan chosen for first US Innovation Award - Mar 08, 2012
- Anushka, Arjun walk ramp in New Delhi - Aug 22, 2010
- Women achievers felicitated in Delhi - Dec 07, 2010
- Preity is open to experimentation: Designer - Sep 26, 2011
- Sunil Shetty, Jackie Shroff walk the ramp at Pune Fashion Week - Nov 21, 2010
- Dikshit honours Sharmila Tagore for contribution to Delhi's society - Apr 23, 2011
- Chitrangada Singh gets FICCI achievement award - Apr 20, 2009
- Women awarded for exemplary work for marginalised kids - Aug 19, 2011
- Hillary Clinton hails Indian NGO Chintan's work - Mar 10, 2012
- Richa Chaddha to shoot for 'Ram Leela'? (Movie Snippets) - Sep 04, 2012
- Hamid Ansari to confer National Geoscience Award tomorrow - Feb 03, 2011
- Exhibition showcases unique bonsai varieties in Bhopal - Mar 26, 2011
- ICCR chief honoured by Edinburgh University - Nov 23, 2011