Feisty Asian women win British awardFebruary 23rd, 2008 - 11:31 am ICT by admin
London, Feb 23 (IANS) A group of feisty Asian women who fought for a battered wife made famous in the Bollywood film “Provoked” have bagged a lifetime achievement award in London. Southall Black Sisters, a group of politically radical women named after a west London suburb where they have a small office, were handed the Asian Voice Lifetime Achievement Award at a ceremony in the House of Commons Thursday.
The group shot to fame when they successfully campaigned for Kiranjit Singh Ahluwalia, a Sikh battered wife, who had killed her husband in 1989 after suffering his brutality for 10 years.
Their high-profile campaign - the first of many - led to the release of Ahluwalia from life imprisonment in 1992. The campaign also created sorely needed awareness on domestic violence among the Asian community in Britain. Southall is one of the largest Asian-populated neighbourhoods in London.
Ahluwalia later wrote a book on her life, “Provoked”, which was made into an English-language Bollywood film in 2007.
“We wanted to honour achievements in public services not only through politics but also through community work,” said C. B. Patel, the owner-editor of Asian Voice newspaper, an Asian weekly that has instituted the award.
“The idea is to make it an inclusive award that is multi-racial and cuts across political parties. We also wanted to honour future potentials,” Patel added.
The Asian Voice Political and Public Life Awards 2007 were given away by former cabinet minister John Reid at a ceremony held in the Members Dining Room of the House of Commons.
Awardees included: Education Secretary Ed Balls (minister of the year), Tory Party home affairs spokesman David Davies (shadow minister of the year), Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg (politician of the year), Lord Nazir Ahmed and Baroness Sayeeda Warsi (Asian personalities of the year).
- Hazare is CNN-IBN Indian of the Year - Dec 17, 2011
- Benegal, Madhuri bag Raj Kapoor awards - Apr 21, 2012
- Morgan Freeman to get lifetime achievement award - Oct 13, 2010
- Freeman to receive lifetime achievement award - Nov 11, 2011
- Ranbir, Vidya named best actors at Apsara Awards - Jan 26, 2012
- Polanski honoured at France's prestigious Lumiere Awards - Jan 18, 2011
- Julie Andrews to receive lifetime achievement Grammy award - Dec 23, 2010
- Julie Andrews to get lifetime achievement Grammy - Dec 23, 2010
- Lata to receive K.L. Saigal award - Nov 07, 2011
- 12th Mumbai Film Festival ends - Oct 29, 2010
- Michael J. Fox to receive lifetime achievement award - Feb 05, 2011
- Hong Kong International Film Fest to honour Amitabh Bachchan - Mar 13, 2010
- Judi Dench receives lifetime achievement award - Nov 09, 2011
- Thirteen business leaders conferred with ABLF awards - Oct 04, 2011
- Longoria to get Power of Women honour - Sep 02, 2011