Federer expects to regain top spot with another Grand Slam titleMay 7th, 2012 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 7 (IANS) Former world No.1 Roger Federer has said that he could recover the top spot with a Grand Slam title this season.
The 30-year-old Swiss, coming back from a break to play at the Madrid Open, seems to be in good shape as he is preparing for the upcoming French Open and the following Wimbledon Championships.
“I feel good about my chances and about playing well the next few months. I’m happy that I am here and I’m really excited to be playing again. During this break I was looking ahead to what’s to come, and I want to be fresh in my mind and fit for those big goals I have,” he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The winner of 16 Grand Slam titles lost his top ranking to Rafael Nadal first in 2008 and then in 2010 after he recaptured it, insisted he could reach the top spot again.
“If I do win a Grand Slam, I’ll be extremely close to world No.1, so I am aware of that but again, it is easier said than done. I know how much it takes to win a Grand Slam,” he said.
“My focus is on my next match here Wednesday, but it is a dream for me to try to achieve that this year again and I will try to chase it as hard as I can and see if it is possible,” he added.
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Federer says Olympics tougher than a Grand Slam - Jul 27, 2012
- Federer out of top three for the first time since 2003 - Oct 17, 2011
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Olympics: Federer acknowledges he's favourite - Jul 27, 2012
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- Djokovic, new king of tennis in 2011 - Dec 21, 2011
- Borg says Murray will win US Open - Aug 25, 2010
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- World Tour Finals: Nadal wins three-hour battle with Fish - Nov 21, 2011
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
- Olympics: Djokovic says Federer is favourite for gold - Jul 27, 2012