Federer beats Murray for fifth US Open titleSeptember 9th, 2008 - 6:51 am ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 9 (IANS) Roger Federer Monday won his fifth consecutive US Open title and 13th Grand Slam crown, defeating British sixth seed Andy Murray 6-2, 7-5, 6-2 in an hour and 51 minutes here at Flushing Meadows. Federer is now only one Slam away from the all-time career record of 14 of Pete Sampras of the US. He is the first man since American Bill Tilden in the 1920s to win the championship five times in a row.
The victory must have come as a big relief to the Swiss who had a tough time this year and came to the US Open without a Grand Slam title for the first time.
He had lost to Novak Djokovic in the semis at the Australian Open and then was a beaten finalist to Rafael Nadal at the French Open and Wimbledon. However, the victory would not make him World Number One.
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam singles title (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Fact file of Novak Djokovic's Grand Slam singles titles - Jan 29, 2012
- Nadal completes career Grand Slam with US Open victory (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Federer out of top three for the first time since 2003 - Oct 17, 2011
- Nadal wins US Open to seal career Grand Slam - Sep 14, 2010
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- List of Roger Federer's Grand Slam titles - Jul 09, 2012