Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon finalJuly 6th, 2012 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 6 (IANS) Roger Federer became the first man to reach eight Wimbledon singles finals, knocking out defending champion Novak Djokovic 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 on Centre Court Friday.
The third seed Federer progressed to his 24th Grand Slam final with the win over tournament favourite Djokovic, BBC reported.
It took Federer two hours and 19 minutes to end Djokovic’s reign.
The second semifinal is being played between Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
“Obviously, I’m ecstatic, I’m so happy,” said Federer, who will equal William Renshaw and Pete Sampras’ record of seven Wimbledon crowns should he win Sunday.
“I played a great match. It has been a tough tournament for me. I was able to step it up and get a bit lucky maybe. I thought Novak played well too, the first two sets went really quickly and the third was key to the match,” Federer said.
It will be Federer’s first Grand Slam final since last year’s French Open and his first at Wimbledon since he won his sixth title in 2009.
Djokovic, attempting to reach a fifth consecutive Grand Slam final, had beaten the 16-time Grand Slam champion in four of their previous five Grand Slam semi-finals.
- Djokovic reaches Wimbledon final, claims No.1 ranking - Jul 02, 2011
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Murray says he is mentally stronger in comparison to last year - Jan 30, 2011
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Berdych knocks out Murray, meets Federer in semis, Djokovic pulls out - Nov 12, 2011
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Olympics: Djokovic says Federer is favourite for gold - Jul 27, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Federer loses to Berdych, seventh Wimbledon title hopes evaporate (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010