Fear of Indian backlash prompted Gilly to call SachinOctober 28th, 2008 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Oct 28 (IANS) Adam Gilchrist said he was prompt in clearing things with Sachin Tendulkar over the controversial comments about the Indian maestro in his autobiography “True Colours” as he feared a backlash in the sub-continent. Gilchrist reportedly had called Sachin a ‘liar’ and a ‘bad sport’, that caused a furore in India, where Australia is playing four-Test series against the hosts.
The former Australia wicketkeeper-batsman later phoned Tendulkar to clarify the matter.
“I just wanted to talk to him and say what I’d written, because I just know how big a story that was becoming - particularly in such a passionate country as India where they love their cricket and their superstars - and he was fantastic and fully understood”, Gilchrist was quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph.
“I just tried to explain to him the context in which my comments were written in the book. When you just grab little snippets out of the book, it can be taken out of context a little bit,”added Gilchrist, who is the captain of Deccan Chargers in Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Tendulkar had been surprisingly fragile: Chappell - Oct 24, 2011
- Gilchrist pleased with team's performance in IPL - Apr 17, 2011
- Gilchrist accuses a Chargers official of badmouthing him - Apr 17, 2011
- Australian media digs up Monkeygate to tarnish Tendulkar's image - Jan 02, 2012
- Tendulkar subcontinent's best batsman: Pakistani daily - Mar 18, 2012
- Tendulkar is the greatest batsman: Brett Lee - Dec 18, 2010
- Sachin, Harbhajan power Mumbai Indians win over Deccan Chargers (Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- Deccan Chargers beat Mumbai Indians by 10 runs - May 15, 2011
- Getting Gilchrist out early key to Deccan Chargers victory: Lehman - Apr 16, 2011
- Finger still not looking good: Tendulkar - Apr 09, 2012
- Mumbai Indians beat Deccan Chargers by five wickets (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- India erupts with joy as Sachin hits 100th ton (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- Mumbai celebrates Tendulkar's 100th ton - Mar 16, 2012
- Tendulkar defends rotation policy in Australia - Mar 25, 2012
- Akhtar could make best batsmen nervous: Gul - Oct 02, 2011