FDI in retail will be a tsunami for economy: KarunanidhiNovember 28th, 2011 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 28 (IANS) Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail will be a tsunami that will hit the country’s economy badly, said DMK president and former Tamil Nadu chief minister M.Kaunanidhi Monday.
In a statement issued here, Karunanidhi urged the central government to withdraw its proposal of allowing FDI in multi-brand retail outlets, and said Indian economy would face a tsunami-like situation due to it.
“It is dangerous to allow FDI in retail sector as it would affect lakhs of small traders, poor and middle class consumers,” he said.
He said DMK has been opposing FDI in retail even when it was originally mooted.
The DMK is a key member of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre and party MP and Karunanidhi’s son, M.K. Alagiri is a cabinet minister.
- Tripura government opposes FDI in retail - Nov 30, 2011
- We will protect shopkeepers against FDI: Karat - Jan 20, 2012
- Strike against FDI in retail affects life in Tripura - Dec 01, 2011
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- Gogoi urges PM to implement FDI in retail sector - Jun 07, 2012
- Housing developers hail FDI in retail, call for realty reforms - Sep 20, 2012
- Point of no return, ministers to resign Friday: Trinamool - Sep 20, 2012
- Trinamool's pull-out vindicates our strike call: Left - Sep 19, 2012
- PM speaks to Trinamool, DMK on FDI (Lead) - Nov 30, 2011
- Recall of retail FDI regressive, disappointing: India Inc (Roundup) - Dec 07, 2011
- Anand Sharma writes to parties clarifying FDI stance - Nov 28, 2011
- DMK ministers to submit their resignations to PM - Mar 07, 2011
- Mixed response to shutdown call in Tamil Nadu - Sep 20, 2012
- Tamil Nadu not to allow FDI funded retail outlets - Nov 27, 2011
- DMK has no expectations of patch with Congress over seat sharing: Alagiri - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: alagiri, cabinet minister, central government, chennai, chief minister, consumers, dmk, fdi in retail, fdi in retail sector, foreign direct investment, indian economy, karunanidhi, mp, progressive alliance, proposal, retail outlets, small traders, tamil nadu, tsunami