Fashion, frolic, business at Pakistan fashion weekMarch 28th, 2011 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Lahore, March 28 (IANS) It’ll be an interesting mix of glitz, glamour and culture at the third edition of the PFDC Sunsilk Fashion Week (PFDC-SFW) opening here Tuesday. Other than ramp shows, there will be puppet shows, Sufi evenings and much more to ensure that the guests, many of them from abroad, get an insight into this cultural capital of Pakistan.
The four-day event, organised by the Pakistan Fashion Design Council (PFDC), will see 26 designers showcasing their myriad collections on the runway at the Expo Centre here March 29-April 1.
For the first time, there will be voile (lawn) shows that will be held in the afternoon, followed by the evening events, as the organisers are trying their level best to help Pakistan’s nascent fashion industry grow.
“We are committed to making Pakistani fashion a commercially viable industry, both domestically and internationally. We believe fashion week platforms encourage the business of fashion, create employment opportunities for skilled workforce as well as international and domestic retail to introduce new talent and creativity,” PFDC executive chairperson Sehyr Saigol told IANS.
“The success of our two previous fashion weeks has reinforced this commitment not only by contributing to the growth of Pakistan’s fashion industry but also by showing the world a Pakistan that is progressive and modern, with a resilient people and culture,” she added.
With Pakistan being one of the newest fashion destinations, the organisers plan to showcase the culturals aspect of Lahore to the international buyers and foreign media. For this, there will be puppet shows by the Rafi Peer puppet theatre group and performances by Saeen Zahoor, a well-known Sufi singer from southern Punjab.
And not to forget some beautiful country villa parties in this lovely weather.
On the business front, there is good news for designers as international buyers from India, the Middle East and Europe, including well-known outlets such as multi-designer stores Ogaan and Carma from India, Studio 8 (Dubai’s multi-brand retail boutiques) and Stijl from Belgium will attend the event.
The designers who will showcase their collections on the ramp during the fashion week are Asifa and Nabeel, Ali Xeeshan for Crimson, Zara Shahjahan, Nickie n Nina, The House of Kamiar Rokni, Ammar Belal, Akif Mehmood, Republic, Saai, Yahsir Waheed, Sublime, Sara Salman, Mohsin, Fahad Hussayn, Muse, Hassan Sheheryar Yasin of label HSY, Burhan Khan, Khaadi Khaas, Rizwanullah, Feeha Jamshed, Funk Asia, Emraan Rajput, Zaheer Abbas, Adnan Pardesi, Sadaf Malaterre and Karma.
The event is being produced by Frieha Altaf of Catwalk Productions and co-choreographed by fashion designer Hasan Sheheryar Yasin.
Established in 2006, PFDC has over 55 designers as its members.
According to Ehsan Malik, chairman of Unilever Pakistan, the association has given stability, continuity and an international platform to Pakistan’s fashion community.
“It has also helped usher in the discipline to showcase two collections a year, as is the industry norm globally,” Malik told IANS.
(Shilpa Raina can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Style, business, charity at Karachi fashion week (Curtain Raiser) - Nov 08, 2010
- One-stop shop for Pakistani designers now in India - Sep 11, 2012
- A cultural potpourri at Pakistan's Bridal Week (Curtain Raiser) - Dec 17, 2011
- Pakistani designers bring makeover for Indian bridal line - Sep 20, 2012
- Young designers shone, but business lagged at Pakistan fashion week (Review) - Apr 02, 2011
- 'Lahore fashion week a befitting reply to terrorists' - Feb 21, 2010
- Bollywood tunes set mood at Pakistan Bridal Week - Dec 19, 2011
- Young designers shine at Pakistan fashion week - Mar 30, 2011
- Lahore's first-ever fashion week begins - Feb 17, 2010
- Lahore's first-ever fashion week wrapped up in style - Feb 20, 2010
- India-Pakistan semifinal: Fashion week's Wednesday shows cancelled - Mar 28, 2011
- Ravana, puppets, dance in Nida Mahmood show - Oct 10, 2011
- Ode to McQueen, 'Folkistan' and more at Pakistan fashion week - Nov 13, 2010
- Experimentation pushes creativity at Pakistan bridal week (Review) - Dec 22, 2011
- Blend of creativity, contemporary cuts at Pakistan fashion week - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: beautiful country, business front, capital of pakistan, evening events, expo centre, fashion design, fashion industry, fashion week, fashion weeks, frolic, glitz glamour, organisers, pakistan fashion, pakistani fashion, pfdc, puppet theatre, rafi, skilled workforce, theatre group, viable industry