Farouque Shaikh, script are the USP of ‘Saas Bahu Aur Sensex’August 29th, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 29 (IANS) The highlight of the US-based film distribution company Warner Brothers’s maiden venture “Saas Bahu and Sensex” is its plotline and Farouque Shaikh, who is returning to the big screen after 10 years, says Raman Lamba.”The storyline with the subject of the Indian stock market has not been shown before in Indian cinema and it will be the USP of the film,” Lamba, its executive producer, told IANS.
“Besides, the comeback of Farouque Shaikh on the silver screen after a gap of 10 years will be another highlight of the movie.”
The film will be released simultaneously in India, Britain, South Africa and Dubai Sep 12.
“It’ll be subtitled in Arabic for the Dubai audience and in the other two countries it will be released with English subtitles. The number of prints has not been finalised yet,” he said.
“Saas Bahu Aur Sensex” is directed by Lamba’s wife Shona Urvashi and he said it has nothing to do with “saas” or “bahu”, despite the name.
“The title ‘Saas, Bahu Aur Sensex’ is inspired by the name of a television show on CNBC channel where the women are invited to talk about the share market,” he said.
The story starts when a few kitty party regulars, led by Kirron Kher, develop interest in the stock market on the instigation of a misogynist stockbroker, played by Farouque Shaikh.
Lamba said Warner Brothers, who has been distributing Hollywood movies for a long time, has ventured into Hindi film distribution because they realised that Indian market offers good opportunity.
He said Warner Brothers had acted as a consultant in Shona’s first film “Chupke Se” and they wanted to work with her “for a while”.
“Later when she wrote the script for ‘Saas Bahu…’, they liked it and decided to make it their first project.”
The film also stars Tanushree Dutta, Masumeh, Lillette Dubey, Sharon Prabhakar, Mukta Barve and Ankur Khanna.
- 'Saas, Bahu Aur Sensex' - a paradox to India's dark side - Sep 18, 2008
- 'Saas Bahu Aur Sensex' - a good concept gone awry (Film Review - Rating: **) - Sep 21, 2008
- My films are geuninely European: Masumeh - Sep 02, 2008
- Hollywood studios are India-bound despite teething trouble - Dec 28, 2009
- Tanushree Dutta has no confidence in director Shona Urvashi - Aug 26, 2008
- Hollywood, Bollywood sign cooperation pact - Nov 11, 2010
- US composer Wayne Sharpe provides music for "Lahore" - Feb 21, 2010
- 'Lahore', easing India-Pakistan ties through sports (IANS Preview) - Mar 15, 2010
- Warner Bros. to distribute Dev Anand's film - Aug 10, 2011
- 'Saas, Bahu Aur Sensex' songs uninteresting (IANS Music Review) - Sep 17, 2008
- Sudhanshu Pandey to play prince in 'Jhansi Ki Rani' (With Images) - Mar 12, 2011
- I've no energy to make films: Farooque Sheikh (Interview) - Jan 21, 2011
- Where Indian cinema meets unconventional buyers - Oct 19, 2011
- Shyam Benegal experiments with comedy in 'Welcome to Sajjanpur' - Sep 18, 2008
- Warner Bros in Kollywood - Sep 16, 2010