Farmers vandalise Haryana government officeJuly 16th, 2012 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, July 16 (IANS) Agitating farmers Monday vandalised the Rewari district secretariat in Haryana, damaging government property and vehicles, police said. At least a dozen protestors were injured in a police cane-charge that followed.
The villagers later laid seige to the secretariat and locked its main gate for five hours, police said.
Superintendent of Police Abhishek Garg said a case was being registered against the protestors for damaging public property.
The residents had been protesting outside the secretariat for a week against the acquisition of their land and demolition of houses in the district, some 55 km from here.
The agitating villagers alleged that some people threw stones at them from the roof of the secretariat.
Following the cane-charge, the protestors locked the main gate of the secretariat and raised slogans against the government.
Politicians owing allegiance to the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Indian National Lok Dal reached the spot and assured the protestors of their support.
The protestors have called for a shutdown in Rewari and Bawal areas Wednesday. The District Bar Association also extended its support to the protesters and decided to strike work.
A woman protestor, who was critically injured, was referred to a Delhi hospital for treatment.
Another seriously injured person was later rushed to a hospital in Rohtak.
The protest began after the Haryana State Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corp. (HSIIDC) began the process to acquire nearly 3,800 acres of agricultural land in 16 villages of the district for developing industrial sectors and served notices to the land-owners.
- 25 hurt as Haryana farmers' land stir turns violent (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 22, 2012
- After Rewari violence, Haryana stops land acquisition - Jul 26, 2012
- Over 50 injured as Haryana farmers clash with police (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Haryana's Rewari area calm, highway traffic restored - Jul 23, 2012
- Haryana farmers torch police station - Jul 22, 2012
- Over 350 booked after Haryana farmers-cops clash - Jul 17, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Haryana's Hisar district - Mar 08, 2012
- Power plant protest turns violent, dozens injured - Jan 17, 2011
- Kudankulam, villages tense after violent protest (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Power plant protest turns violent, dozens injured (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Army called as Jat agitators torch police station (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Punjab slapgate gets wider; protestors caned before Badal - Dec 07, 2011
- Six agitating farmers injured in clash with police - Mar 27, 2011
- Chaos rules as Jats block Haryana roads, rail tracks (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Police crack down on Kudankulam protest, enter Idinthakarai village (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: abhishek, agricultural land, bawal, bharatiya janata party, garg, government office, government politicians, government property, haryana state, hsiidc, industrial sectors, infrastructure development, owing allegiance, protestor, protestors, rewari, secretariat, seige, slogans, vandalised