Farmer denied bank loan, commits suicide in OrissaFebruary 28th, 2009 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 28 (IANS) A 35-year-old farmer committed suicide in Orissa after a bank allegedly denied him a crop loan, a newspaper report said here Saturday.
Niranjan Das, a resident of Baladuan village in the coastal district of Keonjhar, was anxious over the past few days after a local bank refused to give him a crop loan of Rs.25,000, Oriya daily Sambad reported.
Das took a loan of Rs.16,000 from a nearby central cooperative bank last year and repaid the loan on time.
Recently he also took loans of Rs.25,000 from relatives, neighbours and a landlord to raise crops with a hope that he would repay the amount after getting a loan from the bank.
He went to his field Thursday evening and did not return home. Villagers later found him lying dead in the field, the report said adding that the farmer committed suicide by consuming pesticide.
The paper has not named the bank that denied him the loan.
In a suicide note, the farmer blamed the bank officials and described how he was harassed by them.
The district headquarter of Kenojhar is about 230 km from here.
- Villagers block road over farmer's suicide - Sep 23, 2010
- Farmer attempts suicide, Chouhan government on defensive (Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- Damaged crop forces farmer to attempt suicide - Jan 10, 2011
- Cabinet releases Rs.10,091 crore for crop loan subsidies - Sep 06, 2012
- Kerala's 12-point plan to stem farmer suicides - Nov 16, 2011
- Farmer commits suicide amid debts - Dec 15, 2010
- Debt-ridden farmer commits suicide - Dec 29, 2010
- Public sector banks to disburse Rs.6 lakh crore farm loans: Chidambaram - Aug 25, 2012
- Banerjee admits debt-ridden farmers contemplate suicide - Jun 01, 2012
- 3 farmers attempt suicide in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 31, 2011
- Micro-financing empowers women in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 09, 2012
- Farmer commits suicide in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 29, 2012
- Cabinet nod for continuing farmers' loan scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Rajasthan launches interest-free loan for farmers - Jul 22, 2012
- Distressed at crop failure, Orissa farmer commits suicide - Oct 22, 2009