Farmer bonded by loan burnt to deathMarch 25th, 2008 - 5:07 pm ICT by admin
Ranchi, March 25 (IANS) A farmer was burnt to death in Giridih district of Jharkhand because he refused to till the land of a person from whom he had borrowed money. The condition of repayment was that Suresh Das would work on Dilip Singh’s land and Rs.30 would be deducted from the loan amount for a day’s work.
Das, a resident of Karmutand village, 290 km from state capital Ranchi, was allegedly pushed into a bonfire that the revellers lit as part of the Holika Dahan ritual on the eve of Holi, the Indian festival of colours, media reports said Tuesday.
Das was rushed to Sadar hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. The victim had taken a Rs.1,000 loan from Singh, a resident of the same village.
Das worked on Singh’s land for nearly 20 days and then went to work in a mill that paid him more. It angered Singh.
“My son was invited to a feast on the eve of Holi, where Singh pushed my son into a fire that they had lit,” the victim’s father Pyar Das was quoted as saying in the media.
The family has lodged a complaint with the police.
- Trees cut for Holi, green activists despair - Mar 07, 2012
- Bihar to celebrate Holi Friday - Mar 08, 2012
- United colours of Holi splash India (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- Nation celebrates 'Holi' with gusto - Mar 01, 2010
- On Holi, Nitish dons pink for Badal - Mar 09, 2012
- Four Maoists awarded death penalty in Jharkhand - Jun 23, 2011
- Holi splashes its colours on India (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2010
- No trace of abducted workers in Jharkhand - Feb 20, 2012
- Green lobby concerned at lopping of forest trees - Mar 19, 2011
- Hindus urged to take vow on Holi of helping reduce social evils - Mar 16, 2011
- Four Maoists convicted for 2007 massacre of 19 - Jun 22, 2011
- Two electrocuted to death in Jharkhand - Nov 29, 2010
- Assam celebrates Bihu festival with bonfires, feasting - Jan 15, 2011
- Maoists attack policemen, blow rail tracks in Jharkhand (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Landmine recovered in Jharkhand - Dec 23, 2010