Farhan Akhtar to dabble in television production nowNovember 26th, 2008 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IANS) Four years after being a judge on dance reality show “Nach Baliye”, filmmaker-actor Farhan Akhtar is returning to TV as the host of “Oye! It’s Friday!”. And there are all chances of him turning producer for the small screen in the near future.”Production for television is a strong possibility I have in mind for future. We have been thinking over it and I do have a team that has been brainstorming over the idea for some time now. But my hands are so full right now, it’s tough to take a call on it,” Farhan told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
“As of now, I am dedicating my time entirely to my films. Devoting time to decide the creative aspect of a show we want to produce is not something I feel is possible. But it will happen sometimes,” he added.
Farhan is really excited about “Oye! It’s Friday!”, which will go on air Dec 12 on NDTV Imagine.
“‘Oye! It’s Friday!’ seemed like just the concept I wanted to do. After I did ‘Nach Baliye’, I wasn’t averse to the small screen, but everyone was offering me similar reality shows. But when I was approached for this show, I was quite excited.
“They are trying to do something different with TV content and the concept is something new for Indian production,” he said.
The show is all about entertainment sans any specific format. It has humour, music, dance performances, and celebrity guests all rolled into a one-hour show.
Farhan will host the first few episodes of the weekly show and then another celebrity will take over the task from him.
Farhan, who has proved his mettle as an actor with hit flick “Rock On!”, says he took up this show because he could bring alive his own creativity through it.
“I can use my original, signature style of humour to this show without having to use the usual stuff on TV, which is mostly slapstick. I am scripting the show and I hope to grab new eyeballs and add a new contingent to the small screen with this show.”
As a filmmaker, Farhan has given hits like “Dil Chahta Hai”, “Lakshya” and “Don - The Chase Begins Again” and he has felt a constant need to diversify.
With two acting projects - “Luck By Chance” and a psychological thriller - already in his kitty, Farhan says his final calling is “films and entertainment”.
“I don’t think these two need to be broken down any further. Whatever I do, I believe I want to do it and I can do it. If there is even a one percent doubt in my mind about it, I’ll never do it. So as long as I can experiment with various fields in entertainment, I will,” he said.
- TV is my first love: Malaika Arora Khan - Sep 18, 2012
- I survived because of TV, so I respect it: Amit Sadh - Jul 11, 2012
- Delnaaz Paul wants to do innovative work - Aug 18, 2012
- Reality shows thrive on emotions: Apurv Agnihotri - Jun 03, 2012
- Arjun Rampal nervous about TV show - Nov 06, 2011
- Dance fever catches on among Indians, thanks to TV - Feb 01, 2011
- Congrats Soumitra da, says Big B (Movie Snippets) - Mar 22, 2012
- It's tough to convince me: Shweta Tiwari (Interview) - Jan 12, 2012
- Cinema is far more progressive than TV: Karan Johar (Interview, with images) - Sep 20, 2012
- Medium not important for Sushant Singh Rajput (TV Snippets) (With Images) - Aug 03, 2012
- Shocking facts made Varun accept 'Phir Subah Hogi' - Apr 10, 2012
- Quick money lures TV actors to reality shows - Jul 07, 2010
- I'm nervous about my TV debut: Sanjay Dutt (Movie Snippets) - Jul 30, 2011
- TV actor Manish Paul turns con man for debut movie - Jul 20, 2012
- Aamir Ali set for TV comeback in comic avatar - Mar 26, 2011