Fanie de Villiers offers help to struggling Mitchell JohnsonNovember 20th, 2011 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Nov 20 (IANS) Former South African swing bowler Fanie de Villiers is ready to help out-of-form Australian pacer Mitchell Johnson.
Johnson has hardly troubled the South African batsmen in the ongoing Test series in South Africa. He ended up with match figures of 1-144 in the second Test and is in danger of being axed for the upcoming series against New Zealand and India.
In a bid to recapture his form, Johnson shortened his run-up midway through the second Test in Johannesburg but that too proved futile as the Proteas played him with ease.
De Villiers, now a renowned bowling analyst, has kept a keen eye on the South Africa and Australia series and believes the Queenslander can bounce back from his recent slump in form with right mentoring.
“I would like to help him, I was a swing bowler for 19 years … guys like myself and (Pakistani pace legend) Wasim Akram used to spend hours and hours analysing swing bowling,” de Villiers was quoted saying by the Courier Mail.
“I can give him good advice. I really hope Mitchell gives me a ring. If he rings me, I can tell him what he needs to do. He needs to change.
“He needs to understand the way you run in, the way you bowl, how to use angles, and I don’t think he understands it,” he added.
- Tendulkar moves to second spot in Test rankings - Dec 21, 2010
- South African cricketer Norman Gordon celebrates 100th birthday - Aug 06, 2011
- Johnson undergoes toe surgery, ruled out for six months - Dec 01, 2011
- Fannie De Villiers offers to take up bowling mentor role with Team India - Jan 23, 2011
- Ponting promises chin music for England in Perth Test - Dec 15, 2010
- Arthur backs 'hot and cold' Johnson to hit 'gold dust' form in Ashes series - Nov 09, 2010
- Johnson hurts ankle in Sheffield Shield match - Oct 11, 2011
- Marsh, not Hughes should open for Australia in Perth Test: Arthur - Dec 09, 2010
- Would like to see Proteas winning big events: De Villiers - Jun 07, 2011
- I have the form to rattle South Africa: Johnson - Oct 06, 2011
- South Afroca have to galvanise themselves as a team: Ntini - May 11, 2012
- Hodge slams Oz selectors for picking 'out-of-form' Johnson for Perth Test - Dec 14, 2010
- Australia win a thriller against South Africa - Nov 21, 2011
- Finger injury forces de Villiers out of CL T20 - Sep 28, 2011
- Johnson "just degrees" away from becoming match winner again: Queensland coach - Nov 13, 2010