Family relieved as Punjab court sentences killers of Leicester businessmanSeptember 6th, 2008 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
Leicester, Sep 6 (IANS) The family of a Leicester businessman who was killed during a trip to India four years ago expressed relief after his killers were sentenced to a life term by a court in Punjab.Gurpeet Singh and Jasbir Singh, who were arrested from their villages in Hoshiarpur district, were found guilty by the Jalandhar sessions court of murdering Mohan Singh Biring, from Humberstone, as he left a restaurant in Punjab in August 2005. Six other accused were let off on grounds of insufficient evidence.
Superintendent Steve Harrod of Leicestershire Constabulary told the Leicester Mercury: “His (Biring’s) family have understandably been devastated but I hope that this outcome will bring them some form of comfort.”
Biring’s brother, Tirath, a Conservative councillor in Oadby, welcomed the verdict, but said the family was not entirely happy with the outcome of the trial, adding that they would appeal against the not guilty verdict on the six other defendants.
Biring’s son, Salinder Singh, from Humberstone, said the verdict and sentences came as nothing more than small comfort. He thanked the police in India and Leicestershire for their help and support throughout the trial, which went on for about two years.
Biring, of Greenland Drive, was on a business trip to India when he was set upon by a gang of men armed with baseball bats and iron bars in the town of Phagwara. The retired textile factory owner had travelled to the country to oversee a property development in Punjab.
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Murder most foul: Timeline of Harpreet Kaur murder case - Mar 30, 2012
- Minister jailed for conspiracy in daughter's death (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Indian-origin aid worker on ship attacked by Israel - Jun 02, 2010
- Jackson family happy with Murray's verdict - Nov 08, 2011
- Indian-origin aid worker on ship attacked by Israel (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Campaign to save 17 Indians on death row in UAE - Jun 03, 2010
- Punjab agriculture minister gets one year jail - May 05, 2012
- Punjab man gets death for burning two sons to death - Sep 18, 2012
- Australian found guilty of killing three Indian siblings - Jul 03, 2012
- Rajat Gupta convicted on insider trading charges (Second lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
- Badal accepts convicted minister's resignation - May 09, 2012
- German judge convicts, frees ailing Nazi extermination camp guard - May 13, 2011
- Ministers take high 'moral ground' after conviction (Punjab Newsletter) - May 12, 2012