Family jailed for life for killing three daughtersJanuary 30th, 2012 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 30 (IANS) Three members of an Afghan family in Canada have been sentenced to life in prison for killing their three teenaged daughters and dumping their bodies in a car into a canal after they went on dates.
In what the judge described as a “despicable” and “heinous” crime, 58-year-old Mohammad Shafia, his 42-year-old wife Tooba Yahya and their 21-year-old son Hamed were all found guilty of murder.
The childless first wife of the Afghan man was also killed, the Daily Mail said.
The four bodies — of Zainab, 19, Sahar 17, and Geeti, 13, and 52-year-old Rona Amir Mohammad — were found in June 2009 in a car submerged in a canal in Kingston, Ontario.
Prosecutors said the daughters were killed because they “dishonoured the family” by defying rules on dress, dating, socialising and going online.
All the three accused pleaded not guilty.
But the judge said the evidence clearly pointed towards the “planned and deliberate” murder.
The defence said the car accidentally plunged into the canal after one of the daughters went on a joy ride.
The first wife was killed as the polygamous relationship, if revealed, could have resulted in their deportation, the court heard.
The court heard that the four dead made no attempt to escape through an open window, and there was no one in the driver’s seat. Three bodies had bruises on the back of their heads.
The family left Afghanistan in 1992 and lived in Pakistan, Australia and Dubai before settling in Canada in 2007.
Zainab was forbidden to attend school for a year because she had a Pakistani-Canadian boyfriend, and she fled to a shelter, the court heard. Zainab later married her boyfriend angering the family.
- 4 women allegedly slain by own family in possible `honour killing' - Jul 24, 2009
- 14 killed in blast near Pakistan-Afghan border (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Pakistani girl killed to protect 'family honour' - May 22, 2012
- Boy jailed 17 years for killing teenage mom - Dec 22, 2011
- China sentences three to death for killing tax official, family - Nov 11, 2011
- UK couple jailed for beating daughter for dating black man - Aug 06, 2012
- Australian found guilty of killing three Indian siblings - Jul 03, 2012
- Woman jailed for filming kids undress for lover - May 01, 2012
- Indian-origin duo killed over parking dispute - Dec 13, 2011
- Pakistani tortured by relatives in Britain - Mar 31, 2012
- Briton beats wife for breaking slave, sex deal - Jun 05, 2012
- Pak detains 11 for questioning over Osama presence in Abbotabad - May 05, 2011
- Arizona court convicts Iraqi man for "honour killing" of westernised daughter - Feb 23, 2011
- Punjab man in Canada jailed for life for honour killing - Jun 05, 2010
- Man kills 10 in China - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: bruises, canadian boyfriend, daily mail, deliberate murder, deportation, first wife, heinous crime, kingston ontario, life in prison, london jan, mohammad, old wife, polygamous relationship, rona, settling in canada, socialising, teenaged daughters, three daughters, yahya, zainab