Family commits suicide by driving into canalMay 13th, 2008 - 2:17 am ICT by admin
Ropar (Punjab), May 12 (IANS) A Punjab trader and his family committed suicide Sunday night after the trader drove his car into the Bhakra canal near Anandpur Sahib town, 40 km from here. The police recovered the Maruti car and bodies of iron trader Gurcharan Singh and his wife Jaswant Kaur Monday. Earlier, Gurcharan’s brother informed the police that the family was missing.
The bodies of Singh’s daughters, Kamaljeet, 24, and Seema, 20, were washed away in the strong current of the canal and were yet to be recovered.
This was the second such instance that an indebted family drove itself to suicide into a canal. Last month, a family of a trader similarly drive itself to suicide in a canal.
Family members told the police that the trader was upset for the past few days due to debt and a love affair of his elder daughter Kamaljeet.
The daughter worked with a leading domestic airline in New Delhi.
The police recovered a suicide note from Singh’s pocket which said that he was under debt and also faced family tension due to his daughter’s affair with a boy from Ambala city.
Before driving his car into the canal, the family paid obeisance at the Anandpur Sahib gurudwara Sunday evening.
Singh also called up his brother and told him that the family was committing suicide.
- Missing Punjab official found dead - Nov 29, 2011
- Two Babbar Khalsa terrorists arrested (second lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- BKI terrorists sent to custody till Jan 2 (third lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Thousands flee after Punjab floods - Aug 25, 2010
- Parents kill three kids, themselves over property dispute - Sep 14, 2012
- Three minors drown in Bhakra canal - Jan 23, 2011
- Rescue work on as floods threaten Punjab, Haryana - Aug 26, 2010
- Thousands converge at shrine for Hola Mohalla - Mar 08, 2012
- Flood threat over Punjab, Haryana towns (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Bhakra spillways opened, 12,000 cusecs water released - Sep 23, 2010
- Body of ex-judge's son found in Haryana canal - Nov 28, 2009
- Punjab, Haryana on alert as flood threat looms (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Honour killing: 25-year old man killed in Punjab - Apr 16, 2012
- Flood threat looms over Punjab, Haryana towns - Aug 23, 2010
- Punjab: where politics and religion mix well (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 31, 2011