Families of detained Italians visit them in Trivandrum jailApril 19th, 2012 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 19 (IANS) Four close family members of the two jailed Italian marines in Kerala, arrested in February this year for killing two unarmed Indian fishermen, visited them in Trivandrum Central Prison Thursday.
Latorre Massimillano and Salvatore Girone are in judicial custody since Feb 20 and their remand period has now been extended till April 30 by a court in Kollam, where the murder case was registered.
While the wife and son of Girone arrived here, it was the sister and uncle of Massimillano who visited the prison at Trivandrum. They spent close to two hours with the marines.
Two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki, 25, and Gelastine, 45, were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead by the two security crew of cargo vessel Enrica Lexie Feb 15, about 14 nautical miles off Alappuzha in Kerala.
Three ministers from Italy had earlier visited the duo and even Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti is understood to have spoken to them over phone.
The two are lodged in a special room in the prison. Their request for a TV set was earlier turned down by the court.
The owners of the ship have now moved the Supreme Court for their release after the Kerala High Court asked the court in Kollam to decide if the ship needs to be let off after they furnished a security.
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Custody of Italian marines extended till April 2 - Mar 19, 2012
- Will stay in Kerala till issue resolved: Italian minister - Mar 07, 2012
- Italian ship will have to wait till forensic report: Kerala - Mar 28, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian Marines extended - Apr 02, 2012
- Italian marines' bail plea rejected, remand extended to May 25 - May 11, 2012
- Weapon used to shoot Indian fishermen still on ship - Feb 21, 2012
- Italian marines case: Kerala Police file chargesheet - May 18, 2012
- Italian ship not to be let off until Monday, orders court - Feb 24, 2012
- Italian vessel can sail after furnishing bond (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- Now, Italian priests visit home of slain Kerala fisherman - Apr 05, 2012
- Italian Marines shifted to reformatory in Kochi - May 25, 2012
- Italian Marines can't be tried in India: Counsel - Feb 23, 2012
- Italian marines get bail - May 30, 2012
Tags: alappuzha, binki, cargo vessel, central prison, girone, indian fishermen, italian prime minister, italians, judicial custody, kerala high court, kollam, latorre, lexie, marines, mario monti, murder case, nautical miles, pirates, salvatore, tv set