Falling asleep after sex reflects love for partnerJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 23 (IANS) Even as proving actual love for one’s life partner may remain an unending test for many people, a study has suggested that falling asleep straight after sex could be evidence of greater bonding.
According to a research by evolutionary psychologists at the University of Michigan and Albright College in Pennsylvania, the tendency to fall asleep after sex is associated with greater partner desire for bonding and affection, the Daily Mail reported.
“The more one’s partner was likely to fall asleep after sex, the stronger the desire for bonding,” said Daniel Kruger, the study’s lead author and a research fellow at the University of Michigan.
The study was published in the Journal of Social, Evolutionary, and Cultural Psychology.
The research team examined 456 participants who completed anonymous online surveys assessing experiences and desires with one’s partner after sex.
Participants then indicated “who falls asleep after sex” and “who falls asleep first when going to bed not after sex”. The ones whose partners nodded off immediately after sex had stronger desires for post-coital cuddling and chatting.
“Falling asleep before one’s partner may be an unconscious way to foreclose on any commitment conversation after sex,” says co-author Susan Hughes, associate professor of psychology at Albright College in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- One third of women in Australia suffer post-sex blues - Mar 30, 2011
- Why women like to cuddle after sex and men don't - Oct 03, 2010
- Men like wet kisses while women want to keep them long! - Feb 12, 2011
- When men outnumber women, females marry younger - Sep 16, 2010
- Men don't mind girlfriends sleeping with other women - Jan 28, 2011
- Men 'more likely to continue dating girlfriends who cheat with women' - Jan 28, 2011
- Women find men with smouldering eyes 'shifty' - May 13, 2012
- Study reveals that Men are the quickest to say 'I Love You' in a relationship - Oct 28, 2011
- Post-sex blues overtake a third of women - Mar 31, 2011
- Virtual partner better for workouts - May 23, 2011
- Like women, men too have 'baby fever' - Aug 25, 2011
- Shortage of single ladies drives men into committed relationships - Sep 18, 2010
- It's official: Men are hornier than women - Dec 04, 2010
- Penguins too 'have gay flings' - Oct 21, 2010
- Sexsomnia linked to gene? - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: affection, albright college, associate professor, co author, cultural psychology, daily mail, desire, desires, kruger, life partner, london jan, online surveys, participants, post coital, psychologists, reading pennsylvania, research fellow, susan hughes, tendency, university of michigan