Fake penis under attack for staying limpNovember 10th, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 10 (IANS) Prosthetic penises that will be supplied free to eligible transsexual men next year are under attack for staying limp.Authorities justified funding fake penises for aesthetic reasons rather than functionality because rules forbid expenditure on ’sexual aids,’ according to an online Swedish publication The Local.
Starting Jan 1, transsexual men (females who undergo sex-change operations) will receive a free prosthetic penis from a plastic surgeon, The Local quoting Ottar, a publication, said.
While transsexual women have long been eligible for free breast implants, hair removal operations and wigs, transsexual men receive no such cosmetic help.
Sexologist Cecilia Dhejne at Karolinska Hospital, Sweden, although not opposed to distribution of fake penises, criticised the decision because they cannot be used to urinate or become erect.
“It’s easy to think that it’s pretty strange to approve prosthetics that can’t get erect, because that is after all what penises do - get erections. It would be appropriate to pay for those as well,” she told Ottar.
Immanuel Brändemo, a lobbyist, felt transsexuals were getting a raw deal from the medical community.
“I know girls who even after the operation are met with resistance from their doctors who don’t think that they should have a sex life at all. They should be happy to have a sex organ that looks good,” he explained.
“Transsexualism is seen as some sort of disability and ‘handicapped’ people are still not expected to have a sex life.”
- Cuban gay couple plans to wed on Fidel Castro's birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Transgender prisoner in US wants sex-change operation to prevent rape - Apr 21, 2011
- Homosexual prostitute racket busted in China - Jan 11, 2012
- Lady Gaga was taught about sex with wooden penis - Feb 19, 2011
- Taiwan surgeons explore effects of electricity on penises - Jul 30, 2010
- Net study bares our secret sexual longings - Apr 28, 2011
- Transsexual runs for office in Mexico - Feb 05, 2012
- Marijuana use could lead to sexual dysfunction in men - Feb 12, 2011
- Lesbians allowed to donate blood in China - Jul 03, 2012
- Britain mulls gender-free passports 'to spare transgender' - Sep 19, 2011
- Men worry more about mates' beliefs rather than partners' when it comes to size of penis - Sep 16, 2009
- CSD500: Erection inducing condoms developed - May 10, 2011
- Chinese group sex images go viral - Aug 14, 2012
- Spider venom 'could be the new Viagra' - Mar 08, 2011
- How female ducks avoid sexual assault - Dec 23, 2009