Fake Maoist gang busted in OdishaMarch 13th, 2012 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 12 (IANS) A three member-gang extorting money from a local businessman by posing as Maoists has been busted in Odisha’s Rayagada district, police said Monday.
P.K.Bhupati, inspector in charge of Rayagada police station, said the accused, aged between 25 and 30, were threatening local businessmen over phone and were extorting money.
He said the matter came to light after a businessman told police that the gang asked him to supply hand grenades and explosives or pay about Rs.1.5 lakh, he said.
All the three accused were arrested and produced before a local court from where they were remanded to judicial custody, he added.
Maoists are active in more than half of Odisha. Rayagada, about 400 km from Bhubaneswar, is considered their strong hold.
- Five men posing as Maoists held for extortion - Dec 27, 2010
- 'Jharkhand criminals posing as Maoists to extort money' - Jun 20, 2012
- Lottery scam: Five foreigners sent to judicial custody - Jul 17, 2012
- Police unearth Maoist arms dump in Odisha - Jul 18, 2012
- Maoist shot dead in Odisha - Jul 09, 2012
- Odisha court acquits Maoist leader's wife - Apr 10, 2012
- AIIMS paper leak accused sent to judicial custody - Jan 17, 2012
- Nine Maoists killed in Orissa gunfight - Jan 09, 2011
- Maoist held for extortion in West Bengal - Nov 11, 2010
- Maoist held for killing businessman - Dec 17, 2010
- Two minors among five Maoists held in Orissa (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Maoist kill tribal politician - May 23, 2012
- Five Maoists held in Orissa - Dec 15, 2010
- AIIMS paper leak accused sent to police custody - Jan 10, 2012
- Maoists observe 'martyrs week' in Odisha - Jul 28, 2012