Fake currency with face value of Rs.1.5 crore seizedJune 7th, 2011 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) has seized counterfeit currency notes with a face value of Rs.1.5 crore from two Turkish nationals and their Indian associate, an official said Monday.
“On Sunday, our team, managed to recover fake currency (with a face value) of Rs.1.54 crore hidden in the bus. The counterfeit currency was in the denomination of Rs.500,” the DRI official said.
“We were able to seize counterfeit currency following a tip-off,” said the official, hinting that it was being brought in from Bangladesh.
The officials intercepted the foreign-registered luxury Mercedes Benz bus June 3. The fake notes hidden in were recovered after a two-day search.
During investigations, DRI officials found that the two foreign nationals had travelled by bus from Turkey to India via Iran and Pakistan.
They had made their first trip to India from Pakistan in April. After that, they travelled to Bangladesh and were on their way back when they were intercepted.
“The DRI officials have also apprehended an Indian who was supposed to be the receiver of the smuggled fake currency notes,” said a source.
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Heroine worth Rs. 5 cr., fake currency notes worth Rs. 9.5 lakh recovered - Aug 21, 2010
- Fake currency seized in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Police scale down seized fake money haul, say notes good quality - Jan 14, 2012
- Man held with fake notes - Apr 20, 2011
- Fake currency of Rs.4.5 lakh face value seized in Punjab - Jan 20, 2011
- Three held in Punjab for circulating fake currency - Oct 30, 2010
- Fake currency racket busted in Kolkata, four held - Jun 11, 2010
- Man held with counterfeit currency in south Delhi - Dec 31, 2010
- Counterfeit currency seized in Punjab - Jul 10, 2011
- Counterfeit currency: Former defence official arrested - Jun 13, 2011
- Two held with fake currency - Mar 15, 2011
- Fake Indian currency recovered, three held - Mar 18, 2012
- Man held with counterfeit currency - Nov 05, 2011
- Fake currency unit busted, three held - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, counterfeit currency, crore, denomination, dri, face value, fake currency notes, first trip, foreign nationals, India, investigations, iran, june 3, luxury mercedes, mercedes benz, New Delhi, pakistan, revenue intelligence, rs 1, rs 500