Fake currency recovered from bank in Ghaziabad (Lead, changing dateline)September 25th, 2008 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 25 (IANS) Yet another fake currency scam in Uttar Pradesh came to light Thursday, when a Reserve Bank of India (RBI) team recovered counterfeit notes with a nominal value of Rs.150,000 from the currency chest of the Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) in Ghaziabad, officials here said Thursday. Ramesh Prakash, chief manager of OBC, lodged a complaint against the entire staff of the bank branch in the Kavi Nagar police station in Ghaziabad.
Prakash added that 34 fake notes of Rs.1,000, 230 notes of Rs.500 and one note of Rs.100 denomination were found in the bank.
The state’s police officials had asked the RBI to scan the currency chests of all the banks situated in the bordering districts of the state after a fake currency racket amounting to nearly Rs.50 million surfaced August in the State Bank of India branch in Domariyaganj, in Siddharthnagar district.
“The branch acts as the currency chest for many banks of the neighbouring districts and the notes recovered were deposited by some of these banks in the recent past,” a press release of the director general of police office stated.
A case has been registered against the officials of 32 nationalised banks and most of these banks are located in Meerut, Ghaziabad and Noida districts, the release added.
Investigations are on to nab the culprits and find out the source of these notes, the police said.
Meanwhile, the special operation group of the Mau district police arrested a man Wednesday and recovered fake currency notes worth Rs.40,000 from his possession.
“The arrested person, Sarfraz, is a native of Bihar and is being interrogated. However, one of his associates, Izhaar, managed to flee and the police is making efforts to nab him,” said Brijlal additional director-general of police (law and order).
- RBI moves against fake currency deposit - Feb 15, 2012
- Termites eat up currency worth Rs.1 crore - Apr 21, 2011
- Fake currency seized in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Fake Indian currency recovered, three held - Mar 18, 2012
- Two held with counterfeit currency notes - Aug 17, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh fake currency scam: CBI takes over probe - Sep 17, 2008
- Six held for fake currency racket in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 10, 2009
- ATM with Rs.10 lakh gutted in Ghaziabad - May 17, 2012
- All employees of bank branch accused of fake currency racket - Sep 25, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh fake currency scam: CBI summons senior SBI officials - Oct 05, 2008
- Two held with fake currency notes - Oct 15, 2011
- Nepali national held for ISI links - Jun 05, 2011
- Bangladeshi man held with fake Indian money - Aug 12, 2011
- Man held with counterfeit currency - Nov 05, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh fake currency cases up to 81, two more held - Sep 28, 2008