Failing health stops Jethmalani from defending Jamia studentsOctober 7th, 2008 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 7 (IANS) Eminent lawyer Ram Jethamalani said Monday he would have loved to defend the two Jamia Milia University students arrested on charges of instigating terror attacks but can’t because of his failing health.Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh told reporters in Panaji that Jethmalani had at his behest agreed to take up the brief for students of the university, arrested after the Sep 19 shootout in Jamia Nagar that led to two alleged terrorists and a police officer beng killed.
Police said the arrests led to the unravelling of the terror conspiracy behind the Sep 13 serial bombings in the capital.
“I would have loved to defend them and taken up their cases had I the sufficient physical energy,” the former law minister said.
“Besides my failing health, I have also quite a few cases which prevents me from taking up any new case,” Jethmalani told IANS.
Jethmalani, however, spoke up for the legal rights of the two university students in the police dragnet.
“I’m of the firm belief that even the worst of criminals are entitled to the best of legal defence. This is the beauty of our Indian legal system and our legal fraternity deserve kudos for following this principle of natural justice.”
He also backed Jamia Milia Islamia University Vice Chancellor Mushirul Hasan’s efforts to drum up legal and moral support for his students.
Hasan had met him recently to seek legal advice and support, Jethmalani disclosed.
“Being the university chancellor, he is the local guardian of sorts for his students and is legally and morally responsible for their well-being,” said Jethmalani.
“He (Hasan) sought advice on whether he could utilise university funds to arrange legal defence for his students, but I am not very sure on this count.”
- Artists express solidarity with Jamia varsity VC - Sep 25, 2008
- Mushirul Hasan appointed DG of National Archives of India - May 14, 2010
- New Jamia VC to focus on infrastructure, not Batla House - Sep 04, 2009
- Retired judge to probe Jamia recruitment irregularities - May 05, 2010
- Jamia honours Ambassador of Saudi Arabia (With Images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Top French honour for Mushirul Hasan - Jul 13, 2010
- American Center donates books to Jamia - Jun 14, 2010
- High-tech mobiles used in AIIMS paper leak - Jan 09, 2012
- Dalai Lama honoured with doctorate at Jamia - Nov 23, 2010
- Jethmalani to challenge Geelani's house arrest - Aug 04, 2012
- Jamia Milia to confer doctorate on Aung San Suu Kyi (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Jamia Milia to confer doctorate on Aung San Suu Kyi - Jan 30, 2012
- India needs more translations: Mushirul Hasan - Mar 06, 2010
- Jamia''s decision to support Delhi blasts accused gets Arjuns backing - Sep 26, 2008
- Jamia university pledges legal aid to arrested students - Sep 24, 2008