Factory worker held for harassing girlAugust 31st, 2012 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) A factory employee was arrested here for sending obscene text messages to the family of a girl who rejected his marriage proposal, and attempting to extort Rs.5 lakh by blackmailing them, said police Thursday.
Waseem Akram, native of Najibabad in Uttar Pradesh, was arrested from north Delhi following investigations into a complaint filed by the brother of the girl in June this year.
“Akram, in his 20s, befriended the girl through social networking sites and introduced himself as Daksh Sharma, a graduate and an ex-student of Modern School. When the girl came to know about his identity, she started avoiding him. But, he continued to pressure her to marry him,” said P. Karunakaran, Deputy Commissioner of Police.
When the girl turned down his marriage proposal, he posted a fake profile of the girl on the sites and gave her mobile number on it.
“He then forwarded the information regarding the fake profile to her mother and other relatives,” Karunakaran said.
Akram had even met the girl’s mother and allegedly demanded Rs.5 lakh, threatening to defame and harm her daughter.
- Engineering student held for morphing nude photos - Dec 10, 2010
- Two held for duping girls via matrimonial ads - Jan 29, 2011
- Jilted lover plans three crimes, kills friend for mobile phone - Jul 15, 2011
- Youth arrested for blackmailing, raping minor - Aug 07, 2012
- Four held for dacoity - Jan 23, 2011
- Conman dupes by posing as cop, held - Jun 19, 2012
- Jharkhand offers cash rewards for 10 Maoists' capture - May 29, 2012
- Man uses facebook to abuse girl friend, jailed - Mar 26, 2012
- Two held for extorting money from businessman's son - May 25, 2011
- Woman raped by friend made on internet - Dec 26, 2010
- Rapist tuition teacher arrested in Ghaziabad - Mar 19, 2012
- Chandigarh police arrest youth for blackmailing IAS couple - Jun 11, 2011
- Man steals Rs.10 lakh from Delhi office, held - Aug 06, 2012
- Two teenaged sisters held for cousin's abduction - Oct 03, 2010
- Rajasthan announces special package for Bhanwari Devi's kids - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: brother, commissioner of police, daksh, deputy commissioner, investigations, lakh, marriage, marriage proposal, mobile number, New Delhi, north delhi, obscene text messages, relatives, social networking sites