FA likely to sack Terry as England captainFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 3 (IANS) The Football Association (FA) is likely to strip Jon Terry as England captain in their bid to stem the fallout from racism charges levelled against the Chelsea defender.
Terry, however, will be selected for the Euro 2012 as a compromise by the FA.
FA chairman David Bernstein Thursday was busy discussing the issue with fellow board members after Terry’s trial for the alleged racial abuse of Anton Ferdinand was adjourned until after the European Championship.
The Daily Telegraph reported that “Bernstein is understood to have found a growing consensus that Terry’s position as captain is untenable given the charges and the wider context of a season disturbed by racism controversies.”
The FA has to take any action before the friendly against Holland scheduled before the end of the month at the Wembley.
Terry last captained England in the friendly against Sweden in November since his altercation with Ferdinand in a 0-1 defeat at Queens Park Rangers in October.
- Capello resigns as England manager - Feb 09, 2012
- Terry might quit national side - Feb 04, 2012
- Capello on a collision course with FA on Terry - Feb 06, 2012
- Capello resigns, Stuart checks in as caretaker England boss - Feb 09, 2012
- QPR's Ferdinand gets a bullet by post - Jan 28, 2012
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
- Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slurs - Dec 22, 2011
- Luis Suarez charged by FA for racial abuse - Nov 17, 2011
- Chelsea says no to Terry T-shirts - Dec 26, 2011
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Footballers' association demands Blatter's resignation on racism comments - Nov 17, 2011
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Terry questioned by Scotland Yard over racist comments - Nov 29, 2011
- Terry's last-gasp block helps Chelsea to draw with Spurs - Dec 23, 2011
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: altercation, anton ferdinand, board members, captained england, chairman david, controversies, daily telegraph, david bernstein, england captain, euro 2012, fa fa, fallout, fellow board, football association, london feb, queens park, queens park rangers, racial abuse, racism charges, wembley