Extradition process on for runaway Israeli drug dealer: PoliceMay 10th, 2011 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 10 (IANS) The extradition process to bring back bail-jumping Israeli drug dealer Yaniv Benaim alias Atala from Peru to Goa is on, state police chief Bhimsain Bassi said Tuesday.
Addressing a press conference here, Bassi also said that investigations by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into Goa’s politician-police-drug mafia nexus would vindicate investigations conducted by the police.
“In Atala’s case, the extradition process is on. The matter is before a judicial forum in Peru,” Bassi said of the 38-year-old Israeli drug dealer, who has been linked to Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik’s son Roy, a charge which they have denied.
Arrested March 11, 2010 along with seven police officers for their links to the narcotics mafia, Atala fled India in August last year after being granted bail by a local court. He was arrested in Peru in January after an Interpol notice was issued.
Bassi also said that once Atala was handed back to the Indian authorities, the police would probe how the Israeli escaped the country, especially when his passport was impounded by a local court.
“Once we get him here, we will probe him on those issues, otherwise we will be merely speculating,” he said.
On the handing over of the drug nexus probe to the CBI, Bassi said: “The CBI probe will only vindicate our own investigation. I have no doubt about it.”
The police investigation into the drug nexus case has been criticized by both the Bombay High Court as well as political parties - both ruling and opposition - in Goa for slackness.
- CBI to bring Israeli drug dealer to Goa - Aug 17, 2011
- Kamat calls for report on Goa police-politician-drug mafia nexus - Jan 12, 2011
- CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia - Oct 01, 2011
- Goa Police tried to kill me: Israeli drug dealer - Aug 26, 2011
- Goa Police may visit Sweden to record model's statement - Jun 24, 2010
- CBI yet to take up drug nexus cases in Goa - Jun 03, 2011
- Israeli drug dealer sought by Goa Police held in Peru - Jan 09, 2011
- Police helped Israeli drug dealer escape: Goa opposition - Mar 31, 2011
- Goa's drug trade could have Colombian links: CBI - Sep 09, 2011
- Israeli drug dealer gets conditional bail - Jun 22, 2010
- Goa home minister's son sheltered drug mafia: Parrikar - Jul 16, 2011
- Will probe Goa drug nexus: CBI to high court - Apr 05, 2011
- Goa's drug mafia nexus: Swedish model's statement recorded - Mar 23, 2012
- Goa home minister bolts from media - Jun 25, 2010
- Central government needs time to study Goa drug nexus, court told - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: atala, benaim, bombay high court, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, extradition, goa, home minister, indian authorities, judicial forum, local court, nexus, no doubt, police chief, police drug, police investigation, ravi naik, son roy, state police, yaniv