Extortionist held in DelhiJune 25th, 2012 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 25 (IANS) Delhi Police Monday claimed to have cracked several cases of extortion with the arrest of a notorious criminal carrying a reward of Rs.1 lakh on his head.
Neeraj, 23, who is a sharpshooter and extortionist, was a constant threat to the businessmen in north Delhi’s Bawana area, a senior police official said.
“He used to run an extortion racket in the area with his associates who were sharpshooters like him and threatened businessmen and property dealers,” the official said.
He also threatened local assembly member Jaswant Rana recently and is suspected to have been involved in a murder in Haryana.
According to police, a special team had earlier raided Neeraj’s hideouts in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Uttarakhand but he escaped every time.
However, acting on a tip-off, a police team laid a trap at Crown Plaza in Rohini area early Monday morning. Sensing danger, Neeraj tried to flee after firing from his pistol in air but was captured. The pistol was also seized.
During interrogation, Neeraj confessed his involvement in several extortion cases. He had allegedly extorted about Rs.1.13 crore from his victims.
A resident of Bawana, Neeraj passed his Class 10 exam. He was wanted in several cases in Haryana and Delhi.
- Man wanted in 13 criminal cases arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- Extortionist gang posing as reporters arrested - Dec 25, 2010
- Wanted Haryana criminal arrested in Delhi - May 31, 2010
- Woman, paramour arrested for gun-running in Delhi - Jun 13, 2011
- Three 'cyber journalists' held for blackmail, extortion bid - Mar 22, 2011
- Two contract killers arrested in Delhi - Feb 18, 2011
- One held for killing woman in front of her son - Sep 12, 2012
- Two held for making extortion calls - Apr 28, 2011
- Man running cricket betting racket arrested - Mar 11, 2011
- Maoist shot dead in Odisha - Jul 09, 2012
- Peon makes extortion calls, held - Sep 12, 2011
- Dawood's aide among three sharpshooters held - Mar 26, 2011
- CBI arrests four for kidnapping two businessmen - Nov 28, 2011
- Police bust extortion gang in Srinagar - Apr 01, 2011
- Gang of inter-state robbers busted - May 13, 2010
Tags: assembly member, bawana, businessmen, crore, crown plaza, delhi police, early monday morning, extortion cases, extortion racket, haryana, hideouts, lakh, north delhi, notorious criminal, police official, police team, rs 1, sharpshooter, sharpshooters, uttarakhand