External ministry will take up turban issue with Italy: MakenMarch 16th, 2011 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 16 (IANS) Sports Minister Ajay Maken Wednesday said the external affairs ministry will take up with the Italian authorities the issue of golfer Jeev Mikha Singh’s coach Amritinder Singh being forced to remove his turban at Milan airport.
Maken said it was an unfortunate incident and demoralises sportsmen.
“It was an unfortunate incident and these things demoralise our players. The external affairs ministry will take up the matter strongly with Italian authority,” Maken said during his visit to the Indian hockey team’s camp at the National Stadium.
On Tuesday, Amritinder, who was accompanied by Jeev, was forced to remove his turban at Milan airport before being allowed to board the flight to Sicily in Italy.
Jeev also protested but the airport security officials sternly told Jeev that his coach could either remove the turban or not board the flight.
Jeev, son of legendary athlete Milkha Singh, said it was a horrifying incident.
“My father wears a turban and I would be horrified if he was told to remove it unnecessarily and unrespectfully in front of hundreds of people,” said Jeev.
Amritinder is currently travelling with Jeev for three tournaments on the European leg of his schedule and will be playing the Sicilian Open this week.
- Jeev's coach forced to remove turban at Milan airport - Mar 15, 2011
- Milan airport turban incident unfortunate: S.S. Ahluwalia - Mar 16, 2011
- Sikh coach's turban check protested in parliament - Mar 16, 2011
- Turban row: Sikh outfit leaders meet Italian envoy in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- Milkha wants PM to take up turban issue strongly - Mar 16, 2011
- Insult of Sikhs is insult to nation: Krishna - Mar 23, 2011
- Italian envoy summoned over Turban issue - Mar 23, 2011
- India to take up turban issue with Italy - Mar 16, 2011
- SGPC protests against turban frisking at international airports - Mar 25, 2011
- Italian envoy summoned over turban row (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Man held in Italy for beating wife for removing veil - Aug 17, 2012
- Sikh panel plans protest outside US embassy - Dec 14, 2010
- Another pat down of diplomat in US, India takes up issue (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Fishermen's killing by Italian ship crew very serious: Antony - Feb 16, 2012
- Genoa fire coach Malesani - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: airport security, ajay maken, athlete, coach, external affairs ministry, hockey team, indian hockey, italian authorities, italy, milan airport, New Delhi, security officials, sicily, Sports, sportsmen, turban, unfortunate incident