Export target hinges on revival of global economy: FitchJune 5th, 2012 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 5 (IANS) The government’s target of 20 percent growth in exports during 2012-13 would depend largely on the revival of global demand, said credit rating agency Fitch Ratings.
The government Tuesday set a target of increasing exports by 20 percent in 2012-13 and announced a series of measures, including extension of the interest subvention scheme by one year till March 31, 2013, for labour intensive sectors like toys, sports goods, processed agricultural products and readymade garments.
“The basic philosophy behind this is to make Indian exports competitive, which along with depreciating rupee have a favourable impact. However, attaining 2012-13 exports growth target in a sluggish global economic environment would depend largely on revival of global demand,” said Devendra Kumar Pant, director, Fitch Ratings.
Despite significant depreciation of the rupee, exports in April 2012 grew by just 3.2 percent, a pointer towards larger impact of global demand on exports, he added.
- Government announces sops; eyes 20 percent exports growth - Jun 05, 2012
- Government confident of meeting 20 percent export growth target - Jul 26, 2012
- Banks expected to pass on cost savings to borrowers - Apr 17, 2012
- Exports dip by 5.45 percent; trade deficit narrows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Moody's upgrade India's ratings, Sensex soars - Jan 10, 2012
- Industrial output rises in May but recovery probability low (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Fitch downgrades India's rating to 'negative' - Jun 18, 2012
- India's IT industry bets on growth despite uncertainty - Jan 08, 2012
- 2012 not to be a shining year for Indian gems and jewellery - May 09, 2012
- 'GDP growth likely to be less than 6.5 percent in 2012-13' - Jun 10, 2012
- Bosch Q1 net up 23 percent - May 08, 2012
- Crisil cuts India's economic growth forecast to 6.5 percent - Jun 04, 2012
- India's exports slump by 5.45 percent in June - Jul 13, 2012
- ADB sees Indian economy growing at 7 percent - Apr 11, 2012
- CII moots 10-point agenda for reviving Indian economy - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: agricultural products, chennai, credit rating agency, depreciation, export target, fitch ratings, global demand, global economic environment, global economy, growth target, hinges, indian exports, labour, pant, pointer, readymade garments, revival, rupee, sectors, sports goods