Explosives found, blast averted in KandhamalOctober 19th, 2011 - 12:27 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Oct 19 (IANS) With the seizure of a huge quantity of explosives from a forested area, police in Orissa Wednesday claimed to have averted a blast bid by Maoists in the communally sensitive Kandhamal district.
Police late Tuesday found nearly 100 kg landmines from four containers planted on a prominent road near Godibali village under Daringbadi police station, district superintendent of police J.N. Pankaj told IANS.
The explosives which were found during a combing operation by police, paramilitary forces and the anti-Maoist Special Operations Group (SOG) in the state had the capability to blow up a big truck or bus, he said.
The landmines were found days after local Maoist leader Jagannath Nayak told police that a group of 150 rebels have planned to attack at least two police stations and a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp Thursday, police claim.
The 45-year-old rebel who claimed to be the secretary of a local unit of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) was arrested last week from the district’s Daringbadi area.
He disclosed that the guerrillas, who have infiltrated into the district from Bihar and Jharkhand in recent months, were preparing to attack the police stations at Brahmani Gaon and Daringbadi, and a CRPF camp at Paniganda village, Deputy Superintendent of Police G.C. Behera told IANS.
Maoist presence in the district, about 200 km from here, came to the fore when they shot dead Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides in his ashram at Jaleshpeta Aug 23, 2008.
The region witnessed communal violence after local mobs blamed Christians for the killing and attacked their houses. At least 38 people were killed in the riots that lasted for more than a month.
- Kandhamal on alert after Maoist reveals attack plan - Oct 18, 2011
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Landmines found in Bengal's West Midnapore - Jun 23, 2011
- Three cops killed in Maoist blast (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Seven Maoists arrested, landmine recovered - Mar 03, 2012
- Paramilitary trooper killed in gunfight with Maoists - May 03, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Chhattisgarh Maoists step up attacks to taunt army, say experts - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists blast police vehicle, three die - Jan 05, 2012
- Mine blast injures CRPF men, Maoists raid CPI leader's house (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- BJD leader held for blast in Odisha - Jan 09, 2012
- Orissa steps up combing after trooper killed in ambush (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- 40 kg bomb, four landmines recovered in Jharkhand - Jan 27, 2011
- Maoist hideout busted, explosives seized in Bengal - Apr 01, 2011
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Chhattisgarh - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: behera, bhubaneswar, communal violence, communist party of india, crpf, deputy superintendent, district police, district superintendent, forested area, gaon, maoist, maoists, old rebel, pankaj, paramilitary forces, reserve police, saraswati, special operations group, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad