Explosion in Israel embassy car, four injured (Second Lead)February 13th, 2012 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 13 (IANS) A car belonging to the Israeli embassy was gutted after an explosion Monday afternoon in a high-security zone in the Indian capital, not far from the residence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. Four people, including an Israeli woman, were injured, police said.
Officials said the fire was from an explosion caused by a “foreign substance attached to the rear of the vehicle”.
The Israeli embassy confirmed the incident but refused to give details.
The incident took place at the Safdarjung Road-Aurangzeb Road crossing, not far from the 7, Race Course Road residence of the Indian prime minister.
An alert was sounded in the capital and the government asked foreign missions to be on vigil.
According to an eyewitness, there was an explosion in the Israeli embassy’s Tata Innova car that had four people, including a woman, travelling in it. The registration number of the car is 109 CD 35. The car got badly damaged as it caught fire immediately after the blast.
A Tata Indica car moving alongside the Innova was also damaged.
According to another eyewitness Ravi Singh, passers-by rushed to rescue the people trapped in the two cars.
“There was an explosion in a car. There were two people in the car, which was followed by an Indica. People in the Indica car also got injured,” Singh told reporters.
The fire department received the first call at 3.18 pm. One fire tender reached the spot to douse the flames. The Central Forensic Science Laboratory and the bomb squad team also reached the spot.
Officials didn’t rule out a terror link.
- Explosion in Israel embassy car, two hurt (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Israeli embassy car targetted in Delhi, four injured in blast (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Smashed windows, burnt car and barricades at blast site - Feb 14, 2012
- Blast in Israel embassy car injures four, Iran blamed (Intro Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Four injured in Israeli car blast: Home ministry - Feb 13, 2012
- Special Cell to probe Israeli car blast: Delhi Police - Feb 13, 2012
- Police hunting for biker in Israel embassy car blast case (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- NIA team inspects blast site - Feb 14, 2012
- Didn't suspect anybody was following: Israeli embassy car driver - Feb 15, 2012
- CCTV footage from area near blast site being collected: Police - Feb 14, 2012
- Bustle back at Israeli embassy car blast site - Feb 14, 2012
- Car blast: abandoned bike found in south Delhi - Feb 15, 2012
- Two people could be involved in magnetic bomb blast - Feb 14, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen hand in bomb attack being probed (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Israeli embassy official critical but stable: Doctors - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: bomb squad, fire tender, foreign missions, forensic science laboratory, high security, indian prime minister, innova, israel embassy, israeli embassy, israeli woman, manmohan, manmohan singh, monday afternoon, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, registration number, security zone, tata indica car, two cars, vigil