Expert-level NAM meeting kicks off in TehranAugust 26th, 2012 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 26 (IANS) The expert-level meeting of the 16th Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Summit opened here Sunday.
The NAM meeting will be held in three phases: preparatory senior officials’ meeting Aug 26-27, ministerial level meeting Aug 28-29 and the summit Aug 30-31, Xinhua reported.
Under the theme of “Lasting Peace through Joint Global Governance”, the meeting will discuss a wide range of political and social economic issues.
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi said at the opening ceremony that during Iran’s presidency of NAM, the Islamic republic was determined to strengthen unity among the member states of this organisation.
He said that Iran would try to turn the 120-member NAM into a more efficient body.
Representatives from more than 100 countries have gathered in Tehran to discuss the new challenges which the world faces today, he added.
Founded in 1961, the NAM represents nearly two-thirds of the UN members and about 55 percent of the world population.
- Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talks - Aug 26, 2012
- Iran ready to expand ties with North Korea - Aug 28, 2012
- IAEA report on Parchin void of technical significance: Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Tehran (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian PM arrives in Tehran (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- A tough balancing act awaits Manmohan Singh in Tehran - Jul 31, 2012
- Amid sanctions pressure, Iran to pitch for expanded India ties - May 30, 2012
- Iranian, Egyptian presidents discuss NAM objectives, region - Aug 30, 2012
- NAM to put economic role on agenda in Tehran summit: Official - Aug 25, 2012
- PM heads to Tehran for NAM summit, Iran ties in focus (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Iranian minister to visit India with NAM invite - May 25, 2012
- Putin praises NAM for improving global security - Aug 30, 2012
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Iran mulling oil refineries in Africa - Sep 03, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: ali akbar, expert level, global governance, iranian foreign minister, islamic republic, lasting peace, member states, ministerial level, nam summit, non aligned movement, opening ceremony, presidency, salehi, senior officials, social economic issues, tehran, two thirds, unity, world population, xinhua